23

"Oi," Nel stopped in her tracks and turned to see none other than Cedric calling after her. "I don't want you to take this personally, but I'm not going to the Yule Ball with you. Is that alright?

She looked at the Hufflepuff in surprise. "I only said yes because I didn't want to embarrass you in front of everybody else. I'm actually planning on asking Cho."

How gracious of Diggory. He was letting her down and he was even good at that. To the older teen's surprise, she actually seemed relieved.

"You seem happy," He laughed a little. "It's a long story," She drawled out really not wanting to relive the tale. "Malfoy dared me to do it. He said if you said no, he'd take pity on me and take me," She rolled her eyes still fuming at his offense.

"Oh?" Cedric wondered out loud. "And you want to go with him?" He asked nosily.

"Absolutely not!" She cried out louder than he expected. "He was just bullying me like always."

"Sounds to me like he wants to take you," Cedric flashed her a knowing smile.

"Why didn't he just ask then?" She groaned out feeling beyond irritated.

"Also sounds like you him to take you," He teased playfully.

"Nonsense," She glared at him with hostility. "I'm waiting for somebody else to ask me," She avoided his questioning gaze.

"Anything I can do to help?" He offered. Merlin, he was such a Hufflepuff. "You've done enough. Thanks, Ced," She thanked him for sparing her the terrible humiliation of being turned down in front of half of the school. He flashed her one of his infamous smiles. The kind that made girls everywhere melt and it almost made her regret not holding him onto his word.

(AN: Ha! Bet I really had you there for a moment lol).

xxx

That had been a couple of weeks ago.

It was officially the third weekend of December, meaning the holiday had just started and the ETA for the Yule Ball was exactly one week.

Yule Ball Dress: Worth it.

Yule Ball Date: Nonexistent.

Elowen was presently brewing a weak version of Amortentia also known as Love Potion #9. The potion had yet to turn red but the pleasant smell of fine wool and lemon tart seemed to flood the Second-Floor girl's bathroom.

"I never had to brew a love potion to get a boy to like me," Moaning Myrtle taunted as she hovered around the Slytherin who was presently focused on properly adding her rose thorns into the light blue potion.