Donna Lee Bakery Murders

The Donna Lee Bakery murders occurred on the night of 19th October, 1974, in New Britain, Connecticut. 6 people were found murdered inside the bakery. 

During the slayings, the bakery owner, a store clerk, 3 customers, and a young passer-by who had stopped in to ask directions were shot in the back of the head after they were forced to lie face down on the floor of a back room at the Donna Lee Bakery. 

Authorities had initially suspected robbery as the motive for the killings, and believed that both Ronald Piskorski and Gary Schrager took park in the murders. Investigators later theorised that one of the victims had recognised Gary during the robbery, and the perpetrators thus felt the need to eliminate all witnesses. Michael P. Kron, age 49, one of the victims, was related to Gary as his uncle by marriage. Gary felt that Michael had recognised him and would be able to identify him. 

The 6 victims included:

- John Salerni, age 55, Salerni owned the business and had named the bakery for his beloved daughter, Donna Lee Salerni.

- Helen Giansanti, age 59.

- William J. Donohue, Jr., age 27.

- Mr Thomas Dowling.

- Mrs. Thomas Dowling.

- Michael P. Kron, age 49.

Of the 6 victims found dead at the scene of the crimes, 1, John Salerni, had been slain by a shotgun blast; each of the others was killed by a bullet.

Ronald was found guilty of the murders at his trial in December 1975. Because of the death penalty was not available at that time, he was sentenced to 150 years to life in prison. 

Gary's trial began late in 1976. He halted proceedings early to plead guilty to 4 of the 6 slayings. In a strange confession, Gary admitted that both he and Ronald had gone to the bakery to rob it. Gary said he never shot anyone, but he would not name the killer. Gary stated only that "someone" had gone into the back of the bakery and he heard several shots. Gary was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison. He attempted to gain parole several times, despite the strenuous objections of the victims' families. The state parole board ruled in 1997 that he was never be set free. 

Currently, Ronald, age 71, is incarcerated in a Maine prison. Gary, age 77, is located in a Minnesota penitentiary.