Chapter 9: I'm pretty sure I work in a Mafia hangout spot

Chapter 9|I'm pretty sure I work in a Mafia hangout spot

***

   "Ciao Bella! So nice to see you early," exclaimed the head chef, Bruno, as I sauntered into the kitchen.

   Picking up a sliced carrot, I took a bite and gave him my best smile. "You saw me yesterday, Chef."

   He gave me a look, whisk in hand, mixing up the same old recipe of homemade pasta sauce. "I said it's nice to see you early. You being on time is a miracle,"

   I scoffed, almost choking on the carrot. "It's called being fashionably late." Picking up the tray on the service counter, I pretended to flick my hair behind my shoulders even though it was tied in a nice tight bun and gave Bruno my best smirk.

   His sue-chef smiled at me and shook his head when I sent him a flirtatious wink. Matt was cool, he and I had a relationship full of kicks and giggles. No seriously, Matt had a hobby of tap dancing and whenever he tried to show me some moves I would somehow end up tap dancing my ass to the floor.

   And Matt...well Matt would giggle.

   "Two chicken lasagna's, extra fries, extra garlic bread!" My boss screamed as he entered the kitchen. I almost dropped my tray and had a stroke when the beefy italian walked in like king kong. "Miss Losièr," he nodded when walking past me to place the ticket on the board.

   He then did a double take and suddenly whipped his face around so he was staring at me in shock. "Heidi! Are you...early?!"

   I rolled my eyes. "Seriously, can someone please be happy that I'm here." I shoved the tray under my armpit with a scowl on my face. "I don't even come in that late,"

   Rico, the king kong boss, blinked away the shock and scratched the back of his neck. "Heidi, you come in half an hour after your shift starts,"

   "I-uh-well-um...I'm filing for a divorce,"

   "From who, your job?" Rico snorted, slapping the order pad into my palm. "Get to work, missy. Time is of the essence," Rico waved me off, going through the desert kitchen to get to his office.

   I stuck my tongue out at his retreating back and turned back to the service station.

   Bruno chuckled at my furrowed brows and placed the dishes on the tray. "Maybe you should've come late like usual, Heidi,"

   Picking up the tray I smiled sarcastically at him, amusement dancing in my eyes, "Hilarious." I replied as I pushed on the doors with my back to get to the restaurant front.

   My eyes scoured the tables, looking for another old man with a dark black coat and cigar. Rico needed to pay me double, the men looked exactly the same. It even got to a point where I would accidentally mess up the orders and end up giving the wrong food to the wrong table. I did not want to hear another fight over a plate of lasagna as two men argued over who the real Dante was.

   "Two Risottos and one Mozzarella pizza with a side of fries," I called out to the table.

   A man with a balding scalp and a creepy smile lifted his fingers holding a cigarette. Instantly I held my breath not wanting to die from passive smoking since I was still pure and young and very much asthmatic.

   I faked a smile with tight lips and set the plate in front of him. "Is that all Sir?" I asked out of politeness, still holding my breath.

   All that practice of pretending I was a mermaid in the pool paid off, I was super at this 'hold your breath till you die' thing. Maybe I should play my shot at Nemo, see where it would take me.