Chapter 20: Spiderman has his spidey senses, I have my female intuition

20| Spiderman has his spidey senses, I have my female intuition

***

Was I a bad person?

Yes, undoubtedly yes.

Buuut, if we add in my good friends: subjectivity, personal opinions and bias - I was still a good person. What's one minor lie going to do? Kill me?

You know earlier when I said I was good at lying? I'm starting to think I'm really not. I'm turning into my mother who can't lie to save her life.

I approached my front door quickly, just incase a handsome gangster decided he wanted to play shootsie with me.

"Crap..." I muttered when I entered the foyer. My father was home. Yay!

Remember the one who totally disregarded his injured, traumatised eighteen year old daughter and had a nice little chat with the guy who wanted to shoot me? Yeah, someone was definitely not getting the 'Parent of The Year' award. In fact he could say goodbye to that trophy forever, I was not forgiving him anytime soon.

With a scowl on my face, I headed over to the kitchen. I wanted to blow off some steam by eating a big fat bowl of ramen. Big fat unhealthy, store bought, heart warming ramen and soak in my misery until I couldn't move my bottom from the island stool.

Unfortunately, due to this thing I have called "nosey-sue syndrome" I gathered from the extra pair of my stupid cousin's stupid blue trainers which were sat there looking all stupid by the front door, that he and my equally stupid father were having some sort of meeting. A mothers meeting. And might I inform you, shit totally gets real with the ladies, I'm speaking from years of gossip experience.

I crept to the large oak door which was the entrance to my father's study. He liked to make a show that he was man of the house, had he not already by asserting his masculine testosterous power to control the thermostat. I couldn't even breathe in the things direction without him glaring me down like a hawk.

As I was saying, I crept up to the door and pressed the shell of my ear against it.

The good thing about his study was that it was located under the gigantic stair case, thus concealing the room away from prying eyes. What in the Harry Potter. He had a thing for privacy. But sucks for him since he wasn't going to get it anytime soon.

Just as I was about to storm in and assert my sexy female dominance by slamming my palms on the table all the while shouting, "HOW THE TURNS HAVE TABLED!" The squawking sound of a guy who's name rhymes with booze, seemed to freeze my beautiful assets. My bazingas sensed danger. Hey, Spiderman has his spidey senses, I have my female intuition.

"You're not serious?!" Cruz yelled, sounding bewildered.

"Keep your voice down you idiot, someone might hear you," dad replied instead of answering. I snickered, oh the irony.

I made sure that my mum wouldn't jump out from behind the kitchen door which was a few metres away from my left, and I glanced to my right to see if anyone was walking down the grand staircase.

The coast was clear.

"Sorry," Cruz cleared his throat and I pressed the entire right side of my ear and face to the cold wooden door.

It was actually quite nice, the cooling feeling, it almost made me want to slap my entire face on the slab of wood, but the sensible neurone in my head stopped me from doing that. Oh and if you think I forgot about my eyes, I hadn't. The pain subsided after I got two glasses full of ice in a Starbucks drive-thru and smooshed that shit to my burning eyeballs. You could almost hear the dying sizzle.

"I can't have you messing it up by telling Heidi," dad continued. Oh so the plot thickens.

"Tell me what?" I whispered to myself. Wait...am I adopted?

"She's going to find out one day," Cruz continued and before I could do a rough sketch of a punnet square in my head and point out all the similarities between my parents and I he spoke up again. "How else are you going to finalise the deal if she's the main asset?" My assets are definitely main.

My father seemed to be thinking hard and in silence. Mainly in silence since I didn't hear anything for a few seconds. I contemplated running to the kitchen to whip myself up a bowl of delicious ramen and return, but then I heard something shuffle and my ears perked up.

"She can't find out about it right now. When she's of age and well informed about all this, I'll tell her,"

"Funny thing is Don," My pulse raced. Don? Who's Don? Was my fathers real name Donny? Donatello? Donna Sheridan? Mamma Mia!

"She's going to be of age in a couple of months and isn't exactly familiar with our...family business,"

My palms felt clammy. Like really really clammy and funnily enough I'd never tasted a clam in my life. So why the fuck were my palms clammy? What even is a clam?!

My father sighed and I heard the click of a lighter...or a pen, but it could have been a lighter. "Then she'll have to learn the ropes a little earlier. Like you and I,"

Nope, those ropes shall be cut.

"But she's so..." so what? Spit it out.

"My naive little nephew," I was feeling a little dizzy. "Heidi isn't as innocent as she seems, I know my daughter. You don't think she has an inkling of what's been going on? You don't think she's curious of my business trips, or the little meetings I have with your father outside on the porch every fortnight." I held my breath. I mean he wasn't wrong. Him and uncle Jeff didn't exactly go outside to talk about the weather drinking scotch. Only old people with expensive cigars and shady business drink scotch.

"But-,"

"You think she's still not ready?" I heard a glass being placed down on his desk - probably scotch. "After the incident last week, I can assure you my clever little daughter has connected the dots and knows exactly what kind of family she's been born into." A pause...for dramatic effect.

"I didn't raise a fool, Cruz,"

I was going to be sick.

"I raised a god damn heir."

Welp, that escalated quickly.