Chapter 63

----------------------> GRANDMOTHER MALANIA HAD ALWAYS BEEN FOND of throwing overly extravagant galas, even for a Black

----------------------> GRANDMOTHER MALANIA HAD ALWAYS BEEN FOND of throwing overly extravagant galas, even for a Black. Her speciality, in particular, was masquerades, simply because she adored it when misunderstandings happened and she had a front seat view of it. So, in honour of Yule that year, Lady Malania Black nee Macmillan threw yet another black and white themed masquerade ball, inviting everybody who was anybody.

The rules of a Black Masquerade were quite simple. Everybody wears masks, changes their hair and eye colour. However, all the Blacks wore black dresses and dress-robes while the guests woar white. This specific rule wasn't so much as to differentiate the mighty Blacks from the rest, but rather, to find out if any of their children were about to do something they'd regret.

The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black would like to avoid another incident similar to the one that took place in the spring of 1963 where a little girl -in a bout of accidental magic- pushed the then Minister of Magic into the centrepiece which had been a large crystal fountain of elvish wine because he had expressed something along the lines of "Muggles aren't entirely terrible".

Orion had been in glee at the incident involving the Minister and the little girl until he had realised that it was his little girl. Since then, the dress code was strictly imposed and even now, the then Minister still flinched whenever he saw Lyra.

Lady Black was in her element as she walked around the room with her husband, socialising with the guests and politely smiling as they showered praises and compliments on her. Orion was with some of the members of the History Guild while Walburga was chatting away with Lady Malfoy without care.

The Black cousins were all huddled together in a corner of the ballroom and talking amongst themselves. When others their age -but not in Slytherin or Gryffindor- tried to approach them, they were sent running away with identical glares by the family. After all, if the Blacks wanted to socialise with people, they would have been walking around the room like their parents. But at the moment, they didn't and they wanted to be left alone so they could spend time with their cousins.

Molly was sporting a proud baby bump and was engaged in a conversation with Bellatrix about something. Andromeda had declined the invitation to attend the ball, forgoing the desire to be the centre of all the disgusted stares and backlash. Narcissa and Leonard were whispering in each other's ears while Lucius was speaking with Dennis regarding the Quidditch Cup.

Theodore and Cassandra were slow dancing to the soft music, their heads resting on each other's shoulders and their faces decorated with a smile. Valarie Bulstrode, Henry Flint, Patrick Parkinson and Penelope Rowle were all discussing their upcoming weddings while Lyra, Gideon, Fabian, Regulus, Sirius and James were standing at a dark corner of the room and were conversing about the occupants of the room.

"I cannot believe Lord Max brought his mistress to the ball instead of his wife." Fabian drawled.

"I can," Lyra said. "In his defence, his wife is currently spending time in Spain with her boyfriend. Who else was he going to bring?"