Chapter 22

Bumi sat in the control room, tapping his fingers on the radio.

He's been anxiously waiting for a transmission giving him approval to intervene in the attack on the Fire Nation Royal Family.

Suki had been stuck in his cabin for days and he knew she was getting restless.

Iroh was still anxious about his mother and grandparents, but he seemed a little more at ease with Suki on board.

Bumi glanced at Zun, who was sitting with him to wait for the transmission.

Zun was reading one of his daughter's poems.

Bumi sighed, playing with the radio dial trying to find another station that might have a message.

He stopped when he heard the alert.

"This is the United Republic Council," A woman's voice crackled in.

Zun sat up, tucking away the poem.

Bumi grabbed the radio mic, waiting for the transmission to finish before he could speak.

"We are reaching out to any unoccupied divisions for assistance in the extrication of the Fire Nation Royal Family."

"What?" Bumi frowned at Zun. "I volunteered on the first transmission."

"Something's not right," Zun's brow creased.

"I repeat--"

Bumi pressed on the button, "This is Commander Bumi of the Second Division, I copy."

The radio was silent.

"Repeat: This is Commander Bumi of the Second Division, I copy and will accept the assignment."

"You're copied Commander," The woman said, sounding uneasy.

"Good now--"

"I'm afraid you are not permitted to intervene," The woman finished.

Zun blinked.

"Excuse me?" Bumi spat. "Did you just say that I am denied?"

"Yes sir. I'm sorry it's--"

"Put the Air Nation representative on," Bumi ordered.

"I can't just--"

"Tenzin I know you're there! Get on the line before I tell everyone the age you finally stopped wetting the bed!" Bumi shouted into the mic.

The line was silent for a moment.

"He's bad with radios," Bumi said to Zun.

Zun nodded, sitting forward against the radio.

"I'm on Bumi," Tenzin's voice erupted from the radio.

Zun and Bumi cringed, covering their ears when the feedback screeched in.

"Tenzin, it's a microphone, not your girlfriend," Bumi put his mouth close to the mic. "Keep your mouth off of it."

"Bumi!" Tenzin snapped and Bumi could practically hear the blush on his younger brother's face.

"Why was I denied when I volunteered a month ago?" Bumi spat. "As well as, why wasn't I told that I was denied!"

"I don't know why you weren't told, but you were denied because the council agreed you are too closely related to this circumstance, as well as we agreed you shouldn't be involved after what happened to Princess Suki," Tenzin said. "I'm sorry Bumi, but I ask that you disconnect from the line so we can contact other divisions."