Part 30

James had never felt as content as he did now.

His world went quiet with Maggie. It was peaceful. Cozy.

He knew what he must've been feeling deep down in his creaky old heart, he wasn't even sure existed most of the time.

Through the couple days after the Gala, there was a shift between them. There was a renewed energy that he couldn't quite put his finger on. It was like they both knew exactly where they stood with the other.

Maggie had another showcase coming up, so she had been busy with long shifts at work since Sunday. Almost like August was punishing her for taking the weekend off, he scheduled her to work doubles two days in a row.

Wednesday afternoon, she arrived at James' home, ready for a relaxing evening. She walked through the entire six floors of the mansion to find it empty. She trudged up to the closet to change out of her work clothes. Slipping on her favorite thing to wear when James wasn't around— one of his dress shirts. They always smelled like him and hung low over her body like a dress.

Padding down to the kitchen to find a snack, she saw a note resting on the counter.

'If you're reading this, I'm still at the office.

I'll be home soon. Call if you need anything.

PS: Take a peek in the study.

-J.B.B.'

Maggie loved that he left her notes. She found his handwriting entrancing.

Dancing down one floor to the study. She pushed open the tall mahogany door, and her heart skipped a beat.

In one of the small nooks of space where couches once sat, now held a large easel. A wide ecru work table sat beside it. She padded across the room, opening the drawers that sat below the table, to find an impressive variety of premium brand paints. Every color she could imagine. Untouched brushes and pallet knives sat in various glass containers, displayed in an aesthetically pleasing way. Blank canvases sat resting up against the adjacent wall. All different sizes. Varying from twelve by twelves to six foot tall monsters.

She was speechless. No one had ever done something so romantic for her. She tied her hair half up in a top knot, excitedly spread out one of the linen tarps, and got to work on one of the giant six footers that was calling her name. She rested in up against the wall, letting it sit on the floor. Standing in front of it, squeezing the tubes of color, then mashing them together with a pallet knife to create a rainbow of hues.

Using one of the wide flat brushes, she spread long streaks across the Gesso'd base. Slowly, but surely, it filled up. Abstract splotches of gorgeous color covered the entirety of it. She let it dry a bit before continuing. Lying down on the material resting over the hardwood floor on her side, she stretched out her sore back, reading one of the many books James owned.

Half an hour later, he walked in to find her just like that. Sprawled out on the floor, in front of her canvas, clutching a book in her hands. "Hi, doll."

She twisted around to her belly to face him. "Hi." She chirped over.

He strode over, happy to see she had been enjoying her new set up. Even happier that all she wore was one of his shirts and her necklace. He scooped her up into his arms, chuckling when he saw that she had a streak of dried baby blue paint on her cheek. Licking his thumb, he scrubbed over it, wiping it away. "Messy girl."

She laughed looking over herself, realizing she got paint on one of his shirts. Her smile fell from her face, wiggling from his grasp. "James, I'm so sorry. I just got so excited when I saw the canvases and forgot I was wearing one of your shirts." She sputtered out an explanation, but he didn't bat an eye.