45. Fear

~song of the day~
  Be kind - Hasley

  ~song of the day~   Be kind - Hasley

Dove's Pov

Chewing intensely on my lower lips, I stare at Ashley's wheel while she takes a sharp turn at the end of the street. My anxiety makes my fingers battle aimlessly as they sit on my thighs.

We've been driving around for the past three hours in search of Gray, and with each passing second, my heart plummets in my chest. I wouldn't have been this worried if he wasn't trying to escape the claws of a deadly gang. He had people out for his neck- the enemies of the Cagers and the Cagers themselves ever since he left the group.

I've seen the movies. I've seen how they treat people who escape or attempt to leave a gang. Even though I knew I shouldn't compare real life to dramas, I still couldn't help myself.

I try Gray's number again for what might be the hundredth time, but I get the same response as always. His phone has been off since the morning, deterring any contact with him. 

Zyair, Elliot, and I are on a group video call, talking about the areas we've scoured. Ashley and I drove together, while Zyair drove with Fawn, and Elliot drove alone.

We are trying hard not to show our panic, but it's apparent from Zyair's voice just how worried he was.

"Lord knows, I'll personally kill this boy if this is some bitchy dramatic disappearance because of your breakup, "  Zyair grits, grabbing his steering wheel tightly with both hands.

"Your reason for ending the relationship is dumb as fuck, by the way. I'll forever let you know, " Elliot chips.

I let my head fall back into the headrest and let my hand through my hair. I was aware of my wrongs and didn't need them rubbing it in my face.

"Let's not misplace our priorities, okay? We are supposed to be talking about how to find him, not criticizing Dove for his disappearance, " Ashley says, placing her hand on my shoulder.

My shoulders which I didn't realize we're tensed, relaxed under her touch and sympathetic glance.

"Although I still think it's pretty dumb you fell for Luca's words. We all know Luca does do whatever the fuck he wants, " She adds, her words a spiteful tone.

"I honestly thought Luca was a good guy," Elliot voices his opinion. "Can't believe you guys were once a thing, making out and shit, " he fake gags.

"Oh please," I respond with a scoff, feeling my annoyance build up. "The words good guy or bad guy aren't written on the fucking forehead!"

"Obviously, " Elliot rolls his eyes. "If they were, the words 'hoe' would be imprinted on Zyair's forehead." His mocking tone and pouted lips caused most of the ride to laugh.

I could only smile a little. It was close to nighttime, one of the business times in New York City. A time where workers go to bars, clubs, or restaurants to wind down from the hectic day. A time where friends eat dinner together in a fast-food restaurant. A time where some people show off their talents on the street or in the subway station. A time where most people are at ease and free from the stress of the day.