Chapter 6: Mission: Start

A/N: When this was originally created, I expected this story to be extending into a different universe. Now with the current manga being extended much more, I shall make this announcement. This story will not follow the manga. Therefore, whatever happened in the manga around 133, does not happen. This is a butterfly effect if that tragic event of Sasha's never happened.

Footsteps echoing in the halls- laughter entwined. Sasha continued to hold onto this anger for losing a race she purposely started before you. You teased her about it- but it seemed to not matter. All she cared about was the meat she was never going to have.

You reached to the commander's quarters, the commander must be beyond those double doors. Raising your fist to bang against the door, there was a hand blocking your fist. Sasha rose a finger to her lips, gently pushing her ear against the door. Doing the same, you can hear a slight conversation between the captain and the commander.

"They're late- I told them to hurry."

"Calm down, Levi, they're young. Don't tell me you weren't like that-"

"I was never like that, Hanji. Don't you remember where I was from? The Underground. We fight for survival. There's nothing fun down there to do. So tell me why I should really relate to them? I was young too- never like that."

Captain Levi scoffs a bit before the commander began to speak once more. "I remember being like that-"

"You're different. You're still reckless. Still childish. I can't believe you're grown up with such a mindset as yours. Tsk, whatever. Hopefully they'll grow up soon enough. The world is growing as an enemy... they must adapt."

"Levi, maybe you should really lighten up. Go find someone to love or something. Have a family. It's not exactly an order, but... at least try."

"Even if I do, I'm sure she won't accept me back."

"Someone in mind?"

Whatever happened there, it soon fell awkward. Levi soon spoke out with some sort of anger- disbelief? "I'm going to find them again." Heavy footsteps soon ran down towards the door- fear soon overtook all instincts. There was no way to escape from his wrath. Bursting through the door, Captain Levi scowled. "You two- where were you?"

Sasha scrambled to her feet, giving a sloppy salute. "A-Ah! C-Captain!"

It seemed that the captain put things together. His scowl grew much meaner afterwards. "Erase whatever you heard back there. I know you heard our conversation."

The commander soon cut him off from his threats. As if she called off her guard dog, the captain retreated back into the quarters. You walked into the quarters with Sasha by your side. In the presence of the two most powerful people within the walls... there was a hint of intimidation. 

Goosebumps rose from your skin- not from the cold. The commander only stared as gently as she could through her patched eye. Her wound... one that could not be overcome easily. A part of her was missing- an important organ to her. Though our heart and brain are important, sight is paramount as well. Disabled already from her glasses, now she must suffer another wound to her eyes.

"Sasha Braus," the commander began, "(y/n) (l/n),  I hope we haven't disturbed your afternoon too much. I must apologize for that intrusion. Young adults like you should blossom and find another aspiration in life. I must ask a favor for you both-"

"Just get on with it," Levi growled, crossing his arms over his chest. "I've been waiting all afternoon..."

Commander Hanji chuckled, nodding her head. "Of course, of course." She clears her throat, starting anew. "We've received information about those little stowaways. Apparently, one is Reiner Braun's cousin."

Gasping, you remember who Reiner Braun was. The biggest brother in the 104th Cadet Corps... how hard it was to comprehend that he was nothing but an enemy. Pretending to be friendly when his heart and soul were dedicated elsewhere. How can a traitor like him live a happy life?

"Using them, I need you guys to go back to Marley and get information as much as you can. You're our best shot at this. Of course, Eren, Mikasa, and Armin all have their jobs- protecting the Founding Titan. Jean and Connie are busy with their own jobs I've assigned that shall remain classified. You get the picture."

You nodded your head, speaking first. "I shall be honored to take this mission, Commander Hanji."

Captain Levi rolled his eyes, shaking his head. "Tsk... don't mess this up. We don't need another disaster like what happened earlier. If one of you guys mess up- understand your punishment will not come casually."

"Are you not sentencing us to power clean the whole castle as punishment?!" Sasha exclaims, a mixture of happiness and distraught.

"Not a bad idea, but no, not that. I don't think you need the Jaeger brat to explain what I might mean." The only thought that came to mind must've been when he badly beat up Eren Jaeger in that court... beaten him past being bloodied and broken. Eren was nearly whimpering when he came back... stuttering about what happened. The pain must've scarred him. "Let's wrap this up, shall we?"

Commander Hanji nodded, tucking her loose hair behind her ears. "The two children are watched over in the other tower- retrieve them and you shall ride back to the beach for a boat. They shall not wait for you."

"Understood." Simultaneously, Sasha and you both saluted the commander and captain before turning heel out of the quarters. 

Upon leaving, Sasha gave a big grin- almost like it was relief... relief that she didn't need to be pressured in that room for a long time. "Well then... babysitting, huh? That doesn't sound too bad... we could've gotten a much worse fate, don't you think so, (y/n)?"

You nodded, straying your mind away a worse fate you could think of. "Yeah... I think we got lucky..."

"Anyways!" Sasha cried, stretching her legs and arms. Perhaps preparing for another run? "Let's go get them from that tower then, huh?"

"Sasha Braus," you called, shaking your head in disbelief, "I will not let you win this time... I just won't. You'll lose..."

"Bet."