13

missed your kiss

missed your kiss

ATHENA HEARS THE DOORBELL RING AND HER EYES WIDEN IN PANIC. She's wrapped in a towel, letting her hair air dry before she does anything with it, and Stefan's showering while Lexi puts her makeup on.

She hurries down the stairs, skidding to a stop when she sees Elena standing there. "Oh, Elena," Athena adjusts her towel awkwardly and stiffens when she feels Lexi come up behind her.

"Athena?" She eyes the girl wrapped in a towel with an unfamiliar blonde standing behind her, apparently shocked by Elena's presence. The blonde is taller than Athena, and Elena can see her tight black dress and matching jewelry that rests on her chest. "Where's, uh, where's Stefan?"

"He's–"

Lexi steps forward, snapping out of her apparent stupor. "He's in the shower," She smiles pointedly, eyes drifting back to Athena's state of disarray.

"Oh– oh," Elena's eyes widen in shock, her eyes falling to the ground. "I should go."

"I'll let him know you stopped by," Lexi forces a smile, but Elena just shakes her head.

"No, that's– that's okay,"

Athena holds her breath as Elena rushes out of the house, and as soon as the door shuts behind her she spins on her heel to glare at Lexi. "You made it look like I showered with Stefan!"

"No one told me Elena looks just like Katherine, I panicked!"

Athena sighs, shifting her weight uneasily from one foot to another. "That's Stefan's fault. I thought you knew– I knew and I've known him for like a month, tops."

Lexi groans frustratedly. "Of

course you knew about Katherine, he's in love with you! He'll tell you anything!"

Athena's jaw drops and she clamps it shut before it drops again, and she utters a measly whimper at Lexi's words. She watches the blonde's words process in her mind, and their eyes widen as they meet gazes. "Athena, you can't tell him I said that. He'll–"

"I'm just– I'm gonna go put clothes on," She mutters, retreating for the stairs before Lexi can even finish her pleas.

Athena rushes into the bathroom and slams the door shut, leaning against it with a heaving sigh. She forces her eyes open, having closed them to unsuccessfully block out her racing thoughts.

She pushes herself off the door and walks over to the dress Lexi left hanging for her. "You know what? We're not doing this tonight," Athena mutters to herself, getting the dress off the hanger. "No feelings. No makeup sex, no hot vampire sex, no nothing. I am going to that party and having fun. No exceptions."

Athena's aware she has two other people who could hear every word she says if they wanted to. But she's so focused on ignoring the sudden racing of her heart and mind that she ignores the possible embarrassment in favor of getting dressed, and looking her best.