Chapter 47

Jonas looked out the window again; he didn't see her car coming up. Where was she? It was getting dark and it was getting late. Where they okay? He tried calling her but he got no answer.

He took his phone out 'Luka' he called when he answered it. He knew they went to the zoo today 'It’s getting late, why haven't you come back with my wife yet?'

'Dude I dropped her off like two-three hours ago. What's going on?'

Jonas frowned. Then where was she? 'I don't know. She's not home...' what if... no. There was no way.

'I’m coming over.' He hangs up the phone and called his parents. He got even more confused when they said she picked up the twins already.

His heart turned to stone and he started to panic. He tried her cell again but it only went to voicemail. He tried repeatedly but never got on answer. His family found him pacing in the living at lost at what to do. 'Oh Jonas what's going on?'

He shook his head 'I don't know where Emma and the girls are!' He almost shouted, frustrated. Didn't she know he will be worried? 'I’m calling the police,'

'They won't do anything; you know they won’t respond unless it’s been twenty-four hours. Did you call Marcus, Jesse, Kelly?

'I called everyone, they haven't seen her!'

'I thought she was heading home. She said you were taking them out to dinner.' his mom said, concern lighting her face.

He was but she couldn't possibly have known that. He didn't know what to do and with each minute that passed, the doom he felt consumed him, dragging him deeper and deeper into despair. His family sat in the living on their phones looking as worried as he was. Just as he took up his phone to call the police anyway, it started ringing. Everyone looked to him, the hope that it was Emma in all their faces. His heart started galloping when he saw her face on the screen 'Emma? Where are you? Are you and the girls safe?'

The line was quit 'Yes the girls are fine.'

'Where are you and when are you coming home?' He all but whispered a sinking feeling settle in the pit of his stomach.

'I just call to let you know the girls are safe…and that we aren’t coming back' there was a long pause 'G’bye Jonas…'’ the long whisper of her sweet broken voice carried out through his head before the line went dead, coordinating the conduit his heart was heading into. Did someone slam a door or was that only in his head? He saw it so clear, Emma walking away and she slated the entry that was her heart, her life and his access to her, sealed. How was he to reach her and open it again?

He suddenly felt like he was floating, like she had taken the gravity with her, leaving him to wonder aimlessly. No directions, nothing to guide him or keep him grounded and the worst part was that he felt so hallow. There was nothing his chest, no heart, its beating suddenly slackened to a lazy pace just enough to keep him alive… just enough to torture him. Why? She should have just taken everything, the breath from his body because breathing doesn’t mean anything unless he was inhaling her. She just left enough so he would suffer.

Jonas shook his head frantically, his throat working up and down as he tried to comprehend what was happening. His mind, his body, his heart was shutting down because he would not, could not believe that his wife had left him.

'Emma? Emma?' He tried calling her back but nothing. He threw the phone away and rests his hands on his head. What the hell just happened? 'What is it Jonas?' His mom called rushing to him.

'She left me! She's not coming back!' He forced out.

He stared around the room but he couldn’t see behind the rage that was building. His heart felt like it was shattered and instead of crippling to the floor like he wanted he focused on his anger. How the fuck could she so this to him? 'She took my fucking kids and left! How dare she?!' His mom jumped away from him as he slammed his fist into the wall. What was he to do now?