✼ Chapter Nineteen: Control ✼

<< Did you really think you could control me? >>

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

<< Date: Thursday, November 2. Six Days until Escape >>

Early in the morning, before anyone else had woken up, [Name] was in the library, searching for clues. It would be beneficial if she could find more of those Minerva books, in case they hid something other than the secret.

She picked out three books, setting them down on the table and flipping them open to their bookplates. [Name] traced her fingers over the bookplates, muttering to herself as she decoded.

The first was the typical fantasy novel. "Remember."

The second, a textbook about flowers. "Purge."

Finally, the third, a biography. [Name]'s eyes widened as the circle spelled out not just a simple word, but an animal. 

"Snake."

She sat down, picking up the biography and reading over its contents. It was about Pope Joan, a Medieval-era woman who had to pretend to be a man in order to become Pope. The biography didn't seem to have any connection to its code, but [Name] knew better than to overlook it.

"I'm assuming that Snake is a person, but... Who are they?" she murmured. "An ally of Minerva's? A leader?"

They were surely important, as they were the only code that had an animal, except for Monster (although that could easily be referred to the demons). She thought back to the contents. Perhaps they held the key? But what did a Pope have to do with cattle children?

Why didn't Emma bring these up earlier? Did she just not find them? The library is big, I guess, but still...

Before she could continue to ponder on this, Isabella called her. "[Name]? Could you get started on breakfast?"

[Name] flinched at the woman's call,  nearly shutting the book on her hand. Luckily, she retracted in time for her fingers to not get broken.

"Coming!" she responded, inwardly revolted at the mother-daughter act she had to keep up around the others. She quickly put away the books and dashed out of the library.

"What were you doing in there?" Isabella asked as the (h/c) rushed up to her and into the pantry.

"Sherry needed help with studying, so I was picking out some books for her to read," [Name] answered immediately, coming up with the lie on the spot. She started loading her cart with ingredients. "Did we run out of eggs?"

"Yes," Isabella replied, amused at the (h/c)'s quick interrogation. She would make a perfect Mom, just as she had raised her to be. Isabella smiled as she heard [Name] groan in annoyance.

"We're out of sausages too?!" [Name] sighed, looking at the one thing she was very reluctant to make. "It looks like I'll finally have to give them bacon... That's so unhealthy."

"It'll be fine," Isabella assured, watching the (h/c) push her cart out. "We'll be getting new ingredients tomorrow." She chuckled to herself.

"What?" [Name] asked irritatedly. Isabella shook her head.

"It's nothing."

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

"Alright, let's go over the plan." Ray jutted his thumb at himself and [Name]. "[Name] and I will distract Mom after lunch. Norman and Emma will climb the wall to inspect the vicinity." The ginger and albino nodded. "Don, Gilda, stay outside and keep an eye on the south window on the second floor."