𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬

On Christmas morning, white light filtered through the windows, illuminating the small pile of presents at the foot of your bed.

Immediately after waking up and spotting it, your drowsiness was no more. (O/n), who was lying on your chest, fluttered lazily over to Susan's empty bed as you moved. You threw your quilt aside, not minding the cold as you placed your sock-clad feet on the floor.

Plopping in front of your presents, you grab the nearest one, which turned out to be Hermione's. She had bought you a box of Pumpkin Pasties, along with a store-brought letter that wished you a Happy Christmas.

Your parents' gift consisted of a box of assorted chocolate, a pair of new shoes, a bracelet with a flower charm, and a pair of wooly gloves. It was stated in their letter that apart from the shoes, the rest of the contents were from Aunt Cecilia, who thought you were attending a normal boarding school. You made a mental note to send them a thank you letter before nightfall.

Hagrid sent you a plain box with a rope tied like a makeshift ribbon, but it was the thought that counts. Inside it was a miniature wooden sparrow, clearly handmade by Hagrid himself if the chips and dents were of any indication. It chirped when you pet its head and flew around the room, still twittering.

You stare at the sparrow flying for a minute, before remembering something. "I almost forgot about your gift, (O/n)," you said to your owl, who opened his eyes when you said his name.

You walk towards your trunk and retrieved a small parcel. (O/n) flies back to your bed, staring curiously at the gift in your hand.

"Happy Christmas," you giggled, opening the parcel to reveal treats vaguely shaped into birds. You and Hagrid had made them in your spare time for the owls he was nursing back to health.

After nipping at your fingers affectionately, you place the treats on the floor so he can eat them. You plan on releasing him in the Owlery today, seeing as he's been staying with you since the holidays started. All of the Hufflepuffs—except for the prefects—went home, leaving you on your own. But Professor Sprout did check up on you sometimes, and even gave you cookies. You loved your Head of the House.

You were just in the middle of changing when you spot a lumpy package left among the colorful ripped wrappers. You neglect to fully unbutton your pajamas as you sat on the floor again and opened the parcel instead.

You found a handmade sweater with your first initial on it and a box of homemade fudge. Weirdly enough, you don't know who sent this to you. You rummage around the wrappers, looking for a card, but found none.

You wrack your brain for any idea of who it may have come from, popping a fudge absentmindedly inside your mouth as you thought. It was tasty, and you find yourself eating more until you realize that breakfast was going to start in an hour.

You store your sweets and presents in your trunk before continuing on doing your daily routine. (O/n) was on your shoulder as you entered the empty common room, void of anyone else except for the dancing and singing plants. They looked a little limp throughout the winter, but nonetheless thrived with the common room's heat. They hummed and chorused hellos as you walked to the passageway.

It was only when you were in a random corridor did you finally accept the fact that you didn't know where the Owlery was. If you sent letters to your parents, you just let your owl out in the courtyard out of sheer laziness and lack of sense of direction.

You look at (O/n). "You wouldn't happen to know where the Owlery is, do you?"

He hoots, turning his head to a nearby glassless window. It took you a couple of seconds before realizing what he meant.