25 - Departure

It was April 22nd. School had resumed today, though the castle's atmosphere was swarming with the students' uneasiness from Umbridge's rule.

After dinner, Ellie began to walk alone from dinner as Hermione had excused herself to attend to Harry. It was just about 8:45 in the evening when she ran into the twins.

Ellie tilted her head in confusion, though amusement began to settle as she realized the two were turning the corridor into a swamp.

"Guys... what on Earth are you two doing?" Ellie asked warily.

"What do you think we're doing? Turning this corridor into a swamp," Fred replied, his concentration still fixated on the magic spewing from the tip of his wand.

"Wait 'til Umbridge gets a load of this," George added. "Or Filch and that cat of his."

Ellie simply laughed, stunned by the absurd actions taking place. She always admired how the twins always found a way to get a laugh even in the worst times.

Fred turned to his brother. "George, I think we've outgrown full-time education... Time to test our talents in the real world, d'you reckon?"

George grinned as he turned to Ellie. "Sorry for the late notice, my friend. We're leaving."

Ellie raised an eyebrow, urging for a better explanation.

"Leaving Hogwarts for good," George finalized.

"Wait, wait wait," Ellie stammered. "What? Why?"

"I've always felt our futures lay outside the world of academic achievement," Fred answered with a distant look in his eye.

Before Ellie could protest, an angry yell echoed from the other side of the corridor—swamp, now. It was Filch, running down with a waving finger, warning about what happens to wrongdoers at Hogwarts.

"You guys better get going," Ellie stated softly.

"Yeah," Fred sighed with clear regret for such a short goodbye.

"We'll see you at the Burrow. Won't we, Freddy?"

The brother nodded in agreement before quickly pulling the Hufflepuff into a tight embrace. George joined the hug but broke quickly as Filch's footsteps grew louder. Ellie nodded with a tight-lipped smile as she stepped back, watching as Fred and George turn to each other with identical smiles of mischief.

With a synchronized flick, their magic retrieved their brooms from Umbridge's office, the wood landing in the appropriate brother's hand. As their final cry, they yelled out, "Take care of our siblings for us. Will you, Ellie? And give her hell, Peeves!"

Peeves, the mischievous ghost who seemed to appear from behind them, grinned, then rushed towards Umbridge's office to wreak havoc on the pink lady.

Fred and George flew off into the sunset, leaving behind the castle. Ellie smiled at the two, watching as their fiery hair became observed by the sun's bright rays. Realizing that Filch still posed a threat, she took off running without a look backward, her legs taking her far away from the caretaker.

--

It was now June 20th. The students of Hogwarts lived a rather uneventful couple of months, which Harry and his friends were thankful for. Other than the occasional torture and tyranny from the headmistress, students have been busy with their O.W.L.s, and Hermione often dragged Ellie to study at any open opportunity.

Fred and George's departure had left the school quiet, as their laughs and mishaps were now absent. Ellie was numb at first from the sudden separation from her friends, though she knew it was for the best. The twins had even sent her a letter informing her of their new shop: Weasley's Wizard Wheeze, located at 93 Diagon Alley.