Time For Flight!

Time moved forward, and the time came for the Ravenclaw first years' first flying lesson with the Hufflepuffs.

Harry was unbothered by the nervous and expectant air around the students, and as he chatted calmly at the breakfast table, Terry noted that with a groan.

"What the hell, Harry, are you not nervous at all?" he finally got out after twenty-odd minutes of dining, attracting the attention of Michael and Anthony as he did so.

Harry just laughed softly.

"Well, I am lucky due to the superior flying genetics I inherited from my father," he answered, wiping his lips skillfully after finishing the last few bites of his toast. "and, well, this won't be my first time on a broom; my father and godfather made sure of that."

Brocklehurst scoffed from the side, obviously having listened in to the conversation.

"Stop showing off, Potter." she snapped, and Michael, who had had enough of her attitude, finally snapped after a week of tolerance.

"You, what do you have against Harry? He's done nothing to you, yet you keep insulting him and complaining about his wealth! Are you jealous or something?" 

The girl's face reddened, and her eyebrows narrowed, as her eyes frantically rolled around, thinking of a response for the accusation, which was spot on. Harry felt the corner of his lips turn up slightly at the sight of the flustered girl but hid it behind his napkin, pretending to continue wiping his face clean of his food.

"I-I'm not!" Brocklehurst sputtered out after a while, her face reddening even more when she stuttered, making the boys snicker. "I'm just really bothered by Potter hinting at all the money he has all the time!" 

Harry raised an eyebrow at that, placing his napkin down on the table.

"I do not recall doing such a thing. If I may request an example?"

The girl stilled at that, mind working overtime to find a solution, the eyes on her impairing her concentration.

"Y-you just bragged about being taught how to fly at a young age!" she accused him, making the Avada Kedavra eyed boy sigh in disappointment.

"Many magical families do so to their children, though," he said with a hum. "For example, the Weasleys do so, and I do not believe that they are considered 'rich'," Then he turned to the Gryffindor table, seeing if any of said redheads had heard his remark, and seeing that they were unaware, turned back to the beet red girl, smiling slightly. "not that I'm saying this to insult them, or anything. It's just an example." His fingers tapped on the table calmly, and he rested his chin on one hand, eyes flickering back and forth from them to Brocklehurst. "So, your argument is flawed, wouldn't you say so?"

The girl gaped, a strangled sound escaping her mouth, no words able to form, while Terry clapped Harry on the shoulder.

"Nice one, Harry!" Harry only directed his calm smile at him, not replying.

Over the week, they had become closer, and Harry was starting to think of the three boys as their first names rather than their last.

"I'm not telling this to embarrass her," he told the other boy after a while. "I'm just quite troubled with the accusations being made about me."

Terry shrugged.

"Doesn't change the fact that you just won the argument easily. You're excellent with words."

Harry chuckled.

"Thank you for the compliment."

Minutes later, they were out, heading towards the Flying Grounds, nervous chatter echoing in the broad corridors they walked through.

They arrived at the flying grounds ten-odd minutes before the lesson started, the instructor, Madam Hooch, already there, brooms laid out in two rows in front of her.

The Hufflepuffs arrived a minute before the class started, as loud and cheerful as ever, and the lesson started.

Madam Hooch instructed them about sitting and holding the broom, and Harry found the lesson quite fascinating. in his previous life, a certain redhead hadn't stopped talking, so he hadn't been able to listen as intently, but now, he was seeing how helpful the professor's lecture was.

Sometime later, Hooch told them to call out to their brooms and lift them from the ground.

"Say "up'!" she told them, and just like previously, Harry's broom shot upwards and smacked into his hand immediately.

It took some time for everyone to succeed, but afterward, came the time to mount the brooms.

Thankfully, nobody was injured this time, and the lesson went along nicely, Hooch teaching them about Quidditch, and showing them the three balls.

Harry realised that being with Gryffindor had come with unnecessary risks, and once again thanked the Hat for Sorting him to Ravenclaw in this life.

After the lesson was over, he told his friends that he had some questions to ask, and stayed behind, helping the flying instructor clear the field.

"Madam Hooch," he called out afterwards, making the woman turn around in expectation. "May I ask why the brooms are so old? I've noticed that some are rotting, and others have molds. Isn't that quite dangerous? What if they break down mid-flight?"

The professor sighed.

"I have consulted the Headmaster many times, but he refuses to renew the brooms, saying there aren't enough funds for it."

Harry hummed thoughtfully. He had guessed so. Bloody old coot.

"What if you write to the Board of Governors?" he suggested, and the woman blinked, thinking carefully.

"That might just work." she said after some time, turning to the boy and gazing intently. "I had never thought of that."

The corner of Harry's mouth quirked up slightly.

"Most don't," he replied. "Because Dumbledore seems more powerful than the Board, most think that he has the final say in the school matters, but the choices are actually decided by vote."

Hooch nodded sharply.

"I will keep that in mind. Thank you, Mr. Potter."

Harry smiled pleasantly.

"Not at all. I only wish for the best of us."

He then bid her farewell, and walked back to the castle, humming a pleasant tone.

Yet another blow to Dumbledore's power. The brooms would probably be replaced by the end of the month, when the councils were held every month. The fact that the brooms were being replaced would make many curious, and word would soon get out that it was Dumbledore who had been obstructing the renewal and endangering the students.

Harry's smile widened.

Everything was going just as planned.