Chapter 33: Daddy issues

"Good morning, daddy." His voice was soft and sweet, almost teasing. His hands toyed with a loose strand of Ezra's blonde hair.

Ezra sighed and swatted his hand away. "Hey, Finley."

"Oh. What's with the sour tone? I heard from Colby that you like being called daddy. Do I not do it for you?" Finley tried to hold in his laughter, but it kept slipping out in between words.

"You're just jealous that I got Colby to call me daddy before you got Brent to do it."

"How could I be jealous of somebody who's last name is Dickinson."

"Imagine having to moan out Finley during sex."

"Quit it!" Colby interrupted. "You guys are so mean to each other."

"I'm only teasing my little dicky-son." Finley pulled Ezra down into a headlock. "He knows I'm joking and he better be fucking joking too."

"Did I hurt your feelings, Finny?" Ezra's phone buzzed on the table but he didn't check it.

"Not as much as you hurt my man Colby's feelings. You really pulled a fast one on him, huh? Told him he could top and then went all power bottom on his ass. My boy didn't stand a chance."

"He still got to top. Didn't you, babe?" Ezra broke out of Finley's headlock and looked to Colby who had a smug grin on his face.

"I'm the top. Ezra even called me the best at it."

"That's just cruel." Finley scolded Ezra. Ezra's phone buzzed again, then again and again and again until it started to ring. "I think somebody is calling you."

"Leave it."

"Who is it?" Colby reached forward to look at the phone, but Ezra snatched his wrist. He tried to play it off by then holding Colby's hand, a way to try and convince him that the action hadn't been as brash as it was. However, the damage was already done.

"Are you okay, Ezra?" Colby asked.

"Fine, yeah." He picked up his phone and shoved it into the bottom of his school bag. It was still ringing and that was blatantly obvious to both Colby and Finley, but Ezra made no mention of it. He didn't even check the phone screen to see who was calling, because he already knew.

He was saved by the bell, literally. He threw his bag over his shoulder, gave Colby a quick kiss goodbye and headed off. He briefly heard Colby try to call him back for a second and Finley asking what was wrong with him. Ezra did not want to talk about it right now.

For the rest of the day he tried to act as casually as possible. He tried to pay attention in his classes -even with his phone periodically ringing- and he tried to act as normally as possible. He had lunch with Colby who tried to bring up his strange behaviour again, but he would successfully change the topic of conversation every time Colby tried. Luckily for Ezra, Colby had the attention span of a squirrel with ADHD so was easily distracted by other things. Ezra even had a personal theory that Colby could have ADHD, but he was still testing that hypothesis out.

At one point when Colby attempted to bring up Ezra's strange behaviour again, Ezra just pulled out his car keys, dangled them in front of Colby's face so that they shimmered in the light and let him play with them.

And Colby did for a solid ten minutes. He was the cutest and Ezra would do anything for him, except involve him in his own messy business. Colby didn't deserve that. Colby stopped asking after that, instead he went on his own phone for a little while, then did his regular thing of leaning against Ezra and telling him every random thought that came into his head.

Ezra's favourite Colby-thought of the day was: "If unicorns did exist, they would probably be used by the military as a weapon. They would spear the enemy with their horns and the pre-established love for unicorns in children would be great military propaganda."