20| Something else

Max
________________

I get to the gym early in order to make up for lost time. Being here without Goldilocks helps me to refocus, to concentrate on my technique instead of on things I shouldn't be thinking about.

In a few months' time, I've got my amateur boxing championship. It's my one shot to prove myself, to show people what I'm made of; my one shot at a better future.

I try to keep my breathing controlled with each hit. It's easy to clear my mind when she's not around. I'm training in a room filled with people, able to block out the noise and the grunting, but I can never block out her.

At some point, Maddie walks over and smiles. "Hey," she says. "You ready for your debut on Saturday?"

I roll my eyes but don't stop punching. This party at Alyssa's house is kid stuff–an easy win. I'm training for the big leagues. "Born ready."

Now it's her turn to roll her eyes. "You know what I like about you, Max?"

I grin. "I'm pretty?"

"You're just so humble."

I'm about to argue this when I'm reminded of what Alyssa said about compliments. "Nothing wrong with believing in myself," I say. "According to Alyssa, anyway."

"No," Maddie says, "I guess there isn't." She thinks for a moment before looking concerned. "Her relationship seems weird, right?"

I have no idea what she's talking about. "Who?"

"Alyssa," she says. "I mean, she doesn't seem to mind that her boyfriend is going to get beaten up on Saturday."

I keep pounding the bag, but I can't help but grin. "She's weird, period." Maddie looks at me and smiles. "What?" I say.

"Do you like her, Max?"

I stop punching to look at her. "Are you insane?"

She frowns and says, "Why is that insane?"

"Because she's from The Palisades," I say. "Because she's in high school. Because she's annoying and high-maintenance–" she's smiling so hard that I stop and frown. "What?"

"Nothing," she says, still smiling. "It's just, you've obviously spent an awful lot of time thinking about someone you claim not to like."

I narrow my eyes. "You forced us to train together, and she goes to my brother's school. Of course I'm going to think about her. She's everywhere I go."

She laughs now. "It's okay to admit you might like her, you know."

"No," I say, "it's not. She has a boyfriend for starters, and even if she didn't, we're from two different worlds."

She furrows her eyebrows and says, "Hayden and I were from two different worlds."

I shake my head. "Not like this. You came here from New York, Maddie. You didn't grow up with all the bullshit, and being from Burbank, neither did Hayden to some extent. Alyssa–" I stop and sigh. I can't believe we're even talking about this. "Alyssa is the embodiment of everything I hate."

This girl must have a sixth sense or something, because when I look up, she comes walking into the gym in her bright pink yoga pants and scans the room. I give Maddie a look as if to say, See?

"Hey," Alyssa says, walking up to us. She looks at my top, which is slightly covered in sweat, and frowns.

"I got here early," I say by way of explanation.