43. Hanging feelings

Althea

I placed the bag of gold coins at the feet of Ishtar, folding my hands in prayer. Julian stood beside me, silently praying too.

As we walked out of the temple, I looked up to see the clear blue sky. The night was over, making way for the fresh morning.

"Is that Thalia?" he asked, pointing to a circular platform built around a tree, where a woman sat gazing at the sky.

"Yes, it's her!" Oh poor girl, because of my curiosity, she had to be a part of this ritual too. I hope everything went well for her.

"You can join her then. I'll bring the offerings," I nodded and went to her.

Noticing me, she gave a bright smile, "Althea, you came! Who were you paired with?" she asked excitedly.

"Uh, it was a warrior from the... palace," I twisted, "I knew him so... it went good. What about you?"

She giggled, then bit her lip.

"Thalia," I wiggled her cheek, "You won't tell your sister, hm?" She blushed more. Did she have a... good time?

"But don't tell anyone," she whispered, then started like an enthusiastic child,

"He has the work of arranging the warrior's weapons, so he had to come too," she lowered her gaze, fingers twining with each other.

"He... he told me when he entered the temple, he did not know about the ritual," she sniggered.

Poor boy. Must be my brother heh.

"When the priestess told, it scared him," She couldn't control her snickers, "so he decided to pick the most scared-looking woman!"

I laughed. What a strategy, "so did you...?"

"We had to pretend, right?" The colour returned her cheeks, "so to pretend we...

"We... hugged each other in front of... Aphrodite."

She looked like she was ready to rush in a cave to hide her flushed face.

I stared at her, open-mouthed, "Awwh! You are so cute, Thalia!" I hugged her, "Let me give you a hug too!"

She hugged back, letting out a squeal, "It was the first time I... hugged a man," Her eyes shined with a sense of achievement,
"And he gave a little kiss... on my cheek too!" she giggled.

I looked ahead to see a young man walking toward us with two leaf-made bowls. With his ruffled sandy blonde hair and boyish features, it was evident that he was younger than me. When he noticed Thalia, a huge innocent smile came over his face.

Thalia's cheeks coloured again, "He- He is the one," she mumbled. When he came closer, she gave him a bright smile, "Cicero, do you remember about Althea?" she asked enthusiastically,
"She is the one who writes about the empire!"

The boy Cicero bowed respectfully, "It's an honour to meet you, dear lady. Thalia couldn't stop praising about the work you are doing," he gave a gentle smile.

I returned his smile, "It's nice to meet you too, Cicero. I hope you took good care of my dear Thalia."

A blush came over his cheeks, despite which he said, "I think... she could tell better. No, Thalia? He laughed.

I looked back to see the smile that wasn't leaving her face.

These two cute lovebirds!

"Now, it's not good to keep your lady waiting, dear," I motioned to the offering he held, "Finish it quick. Won't you take her for sightseeing? She'd love to explore this place."