144. Lyth

"HAVE YOU TRIED to reach him yet?" Ravenna asked Vyses, cautiously watching his reaction

"HAVE YOU TRIED to reach him yet?" Ravenna asked Vyses, cautiously watching his reaction. The fifth day had passed since last hearing from Lyth. Vyses grew increasingly worried as each day passed — though he did his best to hide it. It was easy for Ravenna to see through his little act, however. His random spurts of heated words, coupled with the fact that he could hardly manage to sit still, revealed his underlying concern.

"I attempted to reach him last night," Vyses said. He glanced around at the royal advisers who sat at the table with them. A hint of panic laced the tone of his voice. He folded his arms across his chest. "There was no response. I attempted a location spell. It is still in the midst of searching through the kingdom. However, with the sheer size of the kingdom, it could be twilight before the spell is complete."

Ravenna frowned at this. "Well, try to reach him again right now," she said. "He may have been in a situation that prevented him from speaking or using magic."

Vyses heaved a small, frustrated sigh. He stretched his arm out in front of him, palm turned upward toward the ceiling. His eyes closed for a moment. His lips moved around a silent spell. A pearl of crimson colored magic formed within his hand. It wriggled and stretched around until it created a spherical shape that hovered just above his skin.

The sphere of magic pulsated within his palm like a beating heart. Vyses watched it like a hawk, his wine-colored eyes narrowed. A few moments of pure silence passed.

A frustrated sound escaped him. He squeezed his fingers around the sphere and it disintegrated within his hand. "Still no response," he remarked. His jaw clenched tight.

"We cannot give up hope," Ravenna tried to reassure him. She glanced around the table, taking in the expressions of the men around her. The royal advisers seemed nervous.

She leaned forward and rested her arms atop the table casually. "I am not worried at all," she said. "Lyth is very strong and capable. I have no doubt that he is just being cautious."

Vyses muttered something under his breath. The royal advisers exchanged a glance, yet seemed to relax a bit at her words. She smiled. "We have been sending more and more ice soldiers each day. Lyth should be in control of a small army by now."

"That means absolutely nothing," Vyses snapped. "He could very well be dead by now."

Ravenna met his gaze evenly. "You are more than welcome to continue to try to contact him. I think that I can handle the rest of this meeting on my own."

He wordlessly stood and stormed from the room. Ravenna watched him leave, forcing her lips to stretch around a calm smile. Then she returned her attention to the men in front of her. "Are there any other issues that need to be discussed today?"

The meeting didn't end until twilight dusted the sky. The royal advisers clearly felt more comfortable whenever Vyses was not present. Once the advisers bid their goodbyes, Ravenna rushed to the royal chambers.

Concern and guilt filled Ravenna's stomach. The strength of the emotions churned the fluids inside of her, forcing them to dance nauseously at the back of her throat.

Vyses was right. So many days had passed and Lyth very well could be dead. There were so many possible reasons as to why he was not answering — however her brain could only focus on the worst of them.

She stepped inside the royal chambers and quietly closed the door behind her. When she turned around, a startled gasp burst past her lips.

Lyth stood outside the massive window opposite from her.

Only it wasn't Lyth.

The Lyth that she saw standing on the other side of her window wasn't right. His dark tunic was distressed. The hems of his sleeves were shredded, revealing plum colored bruises that decorated the skin of his forearms. When Lyth moved, a slit appeared in the fabric that covered the center of his chest — almost as if a sword had pierced through it and then been removed.

Ravenna took slow steps toward him. His eyes were clouded over, covered with a film of milkiness. Her heart sank low into her chest. Lyth tilted his head and stepped closer. The tattered material of his clothes did not move in sync with his movements.

"What happened to you?" she asked. Her voice was a hoarse whisper.

"I still did not see his face," Lyth said. He dipped his head, his expression pained. His hand lifted, his palm pressing flat against his chest. "I could not stop him. I tried everything. He was too strong."

"The one who attacked the villages?" she guessed.

He nodded. His eyes lifted, piercing through her. Emotions swam within his clouded irises. Desperation.

"Please," Lyth whispered to her. "Do not tell Vyses about me."

~

I hope that you all are having a safe and wonderful week ❤