130

"You have to eat something."

George held the bowl with soup in front of me but when I didn't react, he put it down on the nightstand with a sigh.

"You've already lost so much weight. You haven't even left the room."

We were in war. Adrian Blossom killed my mother. He wasn't my father. Maybe through blood but I was never going to call him by father again. He wasn't that. He wasn't my family. He took my mum from me. He broke me. Broke a big part of me.

"Lizzie." George said softly. He sat down next to me, brushing some hair behind my ear. "Please. I'm worried about you."

I was going to get my revenge. I was going to kill him. Kill Adrian. He was going to suffer. I was going to watch him die and I wasn't gonna spare him by killing him quickly. The man was going to suffer a long and painful death. He deserved that. He deserved fucking worse for killing my mother.

"All you do is get up, shower, go back to bed, stay in bed until the sun goes down, then you shower again and then you sleep some more." George explained. "You've eaten twice in the past week."

I turned over, turning my back to him. I closed my eyes and let my thoughts drift away. She wasn't the perfect mum when I was younger but she was my mum and she was broken. She lost my father, she lost the Adrian we thought he was. That broke her but in the past years, she's shown her love for me. She became my mother again and now she was gone. She was gone and I was never getting her back.

I kept my eyes closed and hoped that I would wake up from this nightmare. It wasn't funny. I was almost convinced that my mind was playing a trick on me, pranking me. This was all just a prank and I was gonna wake up in my childhood home with mum by my side.

George stood up from the bed but instead of leaving, he walked around and laid down next to me. I opened my eyes to look at him as he moved closer to me.

"George." I whispered. I placed my hand against his chest, closing it into a fist around his shirt. "She's not dead."

"Elizabeth—"

"Right?" I frowned. "She's not."

"I wish I could tell you she wasn't." He moved even closer to me, wrapping an arm around me. "You're in denial, my darling. That's understandable. I'm right here, okay? I always will be."

I closed my eyes, cuddling up to him, my head against his chest. "She promised me she'd be safe. She said he wouldn't look for her."

"I know." He whispered and pressed a kiss to my forehead. "She didn't know. No one did."

I closed my eyes again and tried to fall asleep. I was in his embrace.. safe.

And you've got everything?" Mum asked, handing me my backpack. "Wand? Robes? A book to keep yourself occupied."

"Got it all." I nodded, patting the bag. "My wand. Robes so I can change and my favorite book."

I watched my mum's face as her eyes glistened, almost as if she were to cry. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a messy bun and her makeup was neat as always but it wouldn't be if she started crying.

"I'll be okay, mum." I told her. "You need to remember that I'm a sixth year now. I've been taking the Hogwarts Express since I was eleven."

"I know, Liz." She nodded, reaching out to lock a strand of my hair behind my ear. "I just have this stupid habit of worrying but after everything that's happened since that Potter boy started Hogwarts, I've been terrified of something happening to you."

"Nothing's going to happen to me, mum." I said, hugging her.

"Liz." George whispered. His voice was soft and careful. He wiped the fresh tears from my cheeks, his eyes watching mine.

"She always came to the platform with me." I said. "She always hugged me goodbye. She was always so worried that something would happen and now..."

I completely broke down again. Sobs filled the room and tears hit the pillow. "Now she's gone and she's never coming back."