Chapter 53

"Sir, all systems are A GO. Disengaging the moorings." I feel the ship drift slightly.

"Watch the trim bring us point two to starboard."

"Aye Captain, point two to starboard." The ship moves nice and easy towards the the port exit.

I look to my right and Jahní is standing there proudly by my side, and some of the crew give each other side glances. Jahní is so relaxed on the bridge; she seems at home here. "Everything alright Jahní?"

She inhales deeply closing her eyes. "The smell of a new ship... there's nothing like it." She looks around at the crew as they all fulfill there duties. "Your crew is well disciplined in their respective duties."

I look at all of my people and I am proud of them. They've withstood the challenges up to this moment, and it's my belief that they will with stand what ever is to come. "They are the best Earth has to send and they will make our people proud."

"Sir, we are exiting the spaceport ." I turn my attention to the view port, as we move out into free space. I notice that several Majah-tu ships stand sentinel as we exit, then they turn  and begin to escort us.

Jahní smiles. "They honor us by being at our side as we leave. They will soon return, as tradition dictates."

Everyone of my bridge crew look at each other. "what's the purpose of the tradition?" Everyone looks at the young newly promoted Lieutenant Marcy Wills, who is manning the science station. She comes from the rebuilt city of Chicago in the U.S. She is of African American decent and an outstanding member of the crew.

Jahní turns to her and smiles as teacher would to young student. "My people have always honored those who put the lives of other before their own, and with great love and respect they are sent off to what ever fate will be theirs."

Lieutenant Wills looks down at her screen. "Do they think we're not going to make it back? It's only a shake down cruise and for only a few weeks." Wills seems a bit nervous now as she looks back to Jahní.

Jahní glances at me to be sure that she can continue. I nod my approval to her. "One can never be sure what will happen in the deep of space, even a simple cruise can have moments of danger."

"Sir?" I turn to the comm officer. "The Captains of the the other cruisers are wishing us a safe journey."

I give a lop sided smile. "Send them our thanks." He turns to relay the message and the Majha-tu cruisers pull away from us heading back to their positions. "Helm, take us  to the pre designated coordinates. Comms full ship speakers please." He nods that it's on. "This is Captain speaking, we're about to commence our first fold operation whatever happens on this cruise it will be remembered as humanities first FTL maneuver. We are making history today, and with that said don't let it get to your heads, That is all."

The comms officer signals the all clear. Several of the bridge crew snicker and chuckle, as was my intention to lighten the mood. "Helmsmen, commence fold." We hear an audible hum, as the fold drive engages. I front of the ship a light begins to form. It gets bigger and brighter then the fabric of space is ripped open by the power of the fold drive.

We move through the opening and enter the darkness and within moments we're through. We sit looking at the Ice world; Jahní put a gentle hand on my shoulder. I glance up at her, as we approach to get in orbit around this frozen world. Everyone gasps at the beauty of this world.

"Man I'd love to go down there just to check it out." I turn to the young Ensign manning the weapon station.

I smile as the excitement is palpable in the air. "There are settlement on the surface."