Chapter 38

"Neither do I." His words stun me in my tracks. I had expected him to yell, and call me a liar again.

"I shouldn't have said anything that I did in the common room, and I shouldn't have started that rumor. None of any of it is true," Harry sighs, giving me puppy dog eyes.

"Well, the part about Sirius loving you more is true. He's hasn't answered any of my letters..." I trail off as he turns his green eyes away guilty.

"He sent you one along with mine. I-I was just mad about the rumor-"

"Which isn't true. It was twisted out of hand, and if you had just let me explain that-" Harry cuts me off as my voice raises.

"-I know that now. I know I was stupid and jealous, and I'm sorry. The letter is in my dorm. I-I can go get it for you now, but I just want us to be on good terms-"

"I don't know Harry," I cut him off quickly trying to cool down my snappy tone. "I guess some of this is my fault but some of it was also yours. We...we can be on friendly terms, but only for Sirius' sake. I know that it would make things easier for him if the two of us weren't at each other's throats all the time."

His eyes gleam happily as though I just gave him loads of presents. "I'll take what I can get!Let's go get the letter now!"

"I have to meet Moody first," I grumble, "hopefully he doesn't want to practice the Cruciatus Curse on me."

Harry let's out a weak laugh, not knowing if I'm joking or not. And so, we turn the other way, and walk to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom in awkward silence.

"See you later Eva," the Gryffindor finally speaks up when we arrive, leaving me at the doorstep of a crazy Ex-Auror.

"Professor?" I call into the room after pushing the door open. "Professor?"

"Miss Black," he walks out of a corner, almost appearing out of thin air, and waves for me to sit at a desk. "Now the first task is in the next two weeks. Do you know what awaits for you?"

"Dragons," I start, "but I thought teachers weren't supposed to help-"

"No one listens to the rules. Champions wouldn't be able to do anything without breaking them." He waves it off staring at intensely with both eyes. "I'm surprised you're the first to know. How do plan on stopping the dragon?"

"Er, well I spent the summer in Romania with Arthur's son," he looks at me in confusion, making me wonder if I got my facts wrong, "Arthur Weasley. Your friend?"

"Oh yes, yes Arthur. Go on girl."

"Well his son showed me how to trap a dragon in ice if I was ever in a dire situation."

"Good, good. Make sure to practice a shield spell. You don't want the flames burning you." He takes the little flask he carried around and downs some of it. When he sees I'm still sitting there he growls, "Go on then. Leave!"

I scramble out of the classroom right away, and run right into Kala, who had been waiting for me. "Have fun with Moody?"

"Oh loads," I gasp, trying to push down my fear of the man while she smirks, "I love him as much as you love Laurie."

She scoffs and rolls her eyes at my comment. "Come on, we're going to be late for Divination."

Later that night, after all my classes and dinner, I parted with Luna and Kala. Instead, I turned towards the Gryffindor common room. With the help of Remus' duplicate map, I made my way to the common room without running into Filch.

"Balderdash," I wake the Fat Lady with the password Harry given me earlier in the halls.

She looks at my face long and hard, before answering. "You better not go causing trouble again."