chapter thirty-seven

Three AM

Three AM. Who the fuck is calling me at THREE IN THE FUCKING MORNING?

ON A SATURDAY TOO?

"Hello?" I answered groggily.

"Hey it's uh Jax—"

"Goodbye." I said getting ready to hang up.

"Wait! Wait! It's Journey. She has a very high fever and she won't go to sleep. She's begging for you."

My body immediately jumps up not feeling tired anymore.

"I'll be there in 10." I hung up quickly.

I put on a hoodie and sweats.

I knocked on my parent's room.

"Why? It's three in the morning! Just lay down, shut your eyes and play dead." Issac groans.

"Do not be rude to your daughter!" Levi smacks his stomach making him groan in pain. "What's wrong?"

"Journey is sick and she's asking for me. Can I g—"

"Yes, take your car and be safe." Levi says.

I gave him a kiss on the cheek and then playfully hit Issac.

"Hey!" He whines.

"Shush, it's three AM go play dead." I joked. He chuckles and then starts snoring.

I drove to Jax's house and parked in their driveway.

I knocked on the door. Jax opened the door and I immediately walked past him.

"Thank you." I hear him say.

I simply ignored it and went straight into Journey's room where Jackie is trying to calm her down.

"Oh, baby." I pouted, water filling my eyes.

Jackie gives me a guilty look. "I'm sorry for letting him call you off my phone. She needed you."

"It's okay. When it comes to Journey, I don't mind." I smiled. I picked up Journey.

"Hey, baby." Jackie gets up from the rocking chair and I sat there rocking Journey.

"I'm sorry," I whispered planting kisses on her forehead. "I'm so sorry."

"Mama." She cries.

"I gotchu. I always do." Jax hands me her pacifier and I put it in her mouth.

She dozed off. I gently put her down getting ready to close her door.

"No mama!" She starts crying again.

"Okay, okay. I'm coming." I picked her up again.

I ended up laying on the floor with her on my chest. I wrapped my arm around her little body one hand patting her butt.

Why does that help a baby sleep? I'm not sure but it does.

Eventually, I ended up dozing off too.

~

"Mama!" A glob of wetness hits my cheek.

"Morning Journey." I smiled and wiped my cheek.

I looked over at the clock to see it was 10. I'm still laying on the floor.

Jax is sitting in the rocking chair folding her clothes.

"I uh didn't want to touch you since you're mad at me so I just put a blanket over you." He spoke nervously.

"Thanks," I replied.

"If you want you can take Journey for the weekend." He says.

"I'm not taking someone else's child for the weekend." I watched Journey take out a book and sit on the floor.

"Brynn, you know I didn't mean what I said."

"You still said it." I kept my voice calm. I don't Journey to notice the two of us arguing.

"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. I miss you so much. Journey misses you. She begs for you every day." He says.

"I miss her too."

He clears his throat. "Did you miss me?" He stutters.

"It's not something I'd like to admit at the moment." I sighed. "I'll take her for the weekend."

"Why don't you stay here?" He asks slowly getting on my nerves.

"I don't want to see you." I spat.

His face droops as he frowns. "I—"

"Jax, just because you said sorry doesn't mean I'm still not hurting. What you said to me rings in my head just about every second of the day so I'm still hurting. I just need time away from you." I wiped the tears quickly before he could see them.

"Yeah, okay. I understand. Take all the time you need." He walks out of the room.

I sighed looking over at Journey who's looking like she's interested in the book.

~

Dylan, Kylie, and I went to a nearby ice cream parlor.

I brought Journey along since I was watching her.

"You know you'd think she grow a love for me by now but nope she still hates me." Kylie whines.

"Don't worry, she'll warm up to you sooner or later." I laughed feeding Journey a spoon of cookies and cream ice cream.

"Dylan, have you talked to Jax again?" Kylie asks.

"No." He mutters.

"Why not?" I asked.

"You know why." He rolls his eyes. Oh, this man and his attitude.

"You guys are friends, don't be mad at him. I'm getting over it."

"Well, when you officially get over it let me know then I'll reconsider talking to him again." He says.

"Seriously?"

"Do I look like I'm joking?" He asks.

I shook my head. "Be friendly. Just because I'm mad at him doesn't mean you should be too."

"Listen buttercup, you let me be mad at him okay? We are now in a pack so if you're mad at him, I am in too." He argues with a bit of sass.

"I didn't know we were werewolves," Kylie says in a sarcastic manner.

"Just let it be. You're always saying stupid shit!" He whines.

Kylie and Dylan continue to argue. Eventually, Kian is able to join us after visiting his grandmother.

I continued to feed Journey. She occasionally purposely bites my finger making everyone laugh. I laughed too but in reality, it was to hide my pain.

That little girl has strong hurtful teeth.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

published: november 11th, 2020

I wanna say we're so freaking close to 400k reads, the numbers have been growing so fast and I'm so excited. Thank you so much for stayed tuned, liking and commenting. I appreciate every single one of you.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your week, remember to love and take care of yourself! MUAH