Prologue

Aaliyah POV

I hear my scream rattle my mind as I push against the restraints holding me down. My body is strapped against the cold surface of the metal table with the surgical lamps blinding me from above.

I can hear his voice ringing in my ears as he screams for them to stop. But I know they won't.

Science can not move forward without experimentation.

"Let her go!" he roars as I hear him pulling against his restraints. I want to tell him it's no use. They aren't going to stop.

The doctor above me pushes the scalpel into my skin as I scream out.

He roars as the doctors cut deeper into my body. The beeping echoing around the room speeds up as the pain intensifies.

"Stop!" he screams.

I feel darkness start to crowd my mind as the pain becomes too much to bear.

Aaliyah! Don't you dare give up on me, he calls out to me, Hold on, angel.

I can't do this anymore, I hear my whimper in my head. The only thing I can feel is pain. I don't even know if he heard my reply.

Stay with me, angel, he whispers, Please don't give up. We don't end. Not like this.

It hurts, I can barely whimper my response to him in my mind, I can't... I'm sorry.

No, angel. This is all my fault. I should have protected you, he says to me, I'm so sorry I failed you.

No, he can't blame himself. This wasn't his fault. He didn't fail me.

He could never fail me.

Using the only energy I have left, I tell him the words I should have said since the moment I knew I never wanted to leave his side. Since the moment I knew he was my hero.

I love you.

I feel my mind moving towards the darkness.

The last thing I hear is the sound of his cry as the heart monitor flatlines.

This is the moment I die.