Chapter 11

"Zara, what is a four-letter word for 'away from the wind?" Olivia asked, snapping me out of my daydreams. 

It was Tuesday, our fifth official day at the palace and of the Selection. Most of the weekend and the last few days had been filled with tours of the palace and grounds, etiquette lessons, and lots of sitting around in a place called "The Women's Room" which where we now sat, trying to pass the time as the hours slowly went by.

"Alee," I said with a bit of a yawn. Hadley laughed as Olivia gleefully wrote the answer down on the crossword she was working on. Olivia was not particularly good at crosswords, but she insisted on doing them almost every morning.

"Is this literally what they do all day? The Royal Family I mean," I whispered to Hadley and Olivia as I looked around the room. "I mean besides Queen Eadlyn, do they all just sit around like this?"

The Women's Room traditionally belonged to the Queen, and no men could enter without her express permission. However, Queen Eadlyn was rarely in here when we were as she was obviously quiet busy off running the country. But, female members of the Royal Family, such as Queen America and Princess Josie, and friends of the Royal Family, were often present. The Women's Room was also where we as Selection candidates were expected to spend most of our days, passing the time sewing, watching TV, chatting, playing the piano, or doing crossword puzzles like Olivia. I was already getting tired of it, and a week hadn't even passed.

"I mean maybe sometimes they leave and sit around and talk outside instead of in here," Hadley quipped.

"I'm serious," I moaned, putting my face in my hands. "They all have so much power to change the country and bring good, but all they seem to do besides the queen is sit around and drink tea and gossip."

"I think someone is being a bit judgey" Olivia said, raising her eyebrow. "Queen America did the whole queen thing for years, she deserves a bit of a break, don't you think?"

"I don't know. Retiring at 40 just feels like there would be so much left to do," I said with a sigh, looking around the room at the other Selection girls. Ashlyn Blake was holding court with a small group of girls she had already designated as her minions. Other small groups like mine, Haldey, and Olivia's also clustered the room. It had only been a few days, but girls already had begun forming small groups. I was so happy that Hadley and Olivia wanting to be a part of one with me. I had never been a part of a group at school, always off on my own studying or working after school for my parents.  I just had never thought I needed friends, but now I was realizing it was kind of nice.

"Do either of you want to go to the library with me?" I asked my two new friends as I pushed back my chair. "I have finished all the ones I brought from home and need something new."

"No, you have to stay here and help me with my crossword!" Olivia said, pouting her full lip and staring up at me.

"I'll help you, let Zara go," Hadley said, pulling her chair at the table closer to Olivia.

"So I guess neither of you wants to come with me?" I asked, fighting back a smile.

"You can tell us what the library is like," Hadley said. "If it is cool, we can come with you next time. If Olivia isn't in the middle of a crossword that is."

"Stop, I am getting better!" Olivia said crossing her arms across her chest. I laughed and waved to them both as I made my way out of the room.

The library was on the same floor as the Women's Room so it wasn't far to go. When I opened the huge doors to go in, I was hit by my favorite smell, the crisp and yellowed pages of well-loved books. The main library in the palace was beautiful. It had vaulted ceilings where light streamed in and tall shelves that zigzagged through the room and ran along the walls.