˗ˋ 40

CHAPTER FOURTY

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE DIVES IN

. . .

"Where on Earth is Harry Potter." Rosie exclaimed, her teeth chattering as she stood on the platform, arms wrapped around her torso, looking around the crowds. 

She had managed to get some sleep after Sprout sent her up to bed, and Angelina had woken her up around an hour before the task started, and Rosie had joined everyone at breakfast, still slightly worried. 

They were all stood out platforms in the Black Lake, Rosie stood on the middle of three structures. They had been transported there via boat, and the Kersey girl assumed they were the same ones used during their first year, when they began their Hogwarts journey.

Harry clambered out of one of the last boats there, and Rosie let out a sigh of relief. "Oh thank Merlin." She mumbled, leaning against the railing. Fred and George clambered out of the same both, joining her. They had been trying to get people to place their bets again, walking up and down the path of students ready to get into the boats. 

"Looks cold." George muttered, peering over the railing. He was right, the Black Lake looked especially cold on the February morning, and even though Rosie didn't really get cold in water, she shivered anyways, pitying the four champions who had to swim in the murky depths. 

"Good luck." Rosie called, and Harry glanced back, looking pale. Cedric also turned back, and Rosie met his eyes, and froze. She smiled slightly, not exactly wanting to say anything, still too upset with him and Cho. He smiled back, before turning back to the water.

The crowds were seemingly just as cold, and there was a visible sound of teeth-chattering, all of them shivering as they waited for the task to begin. Rosie had no idea how the students and others watching would last the hour stood there, let alone how long the champions would last within the cold lake. 

But soon enough, the task was to begin, and the champions readied themselves, standing at the very edge of the platform. Rosie and the twins weren't even supposed to be there, as told by Moody, who instructed them to go over to the platform on the right. 

They had done as they were asked, but not without whining and complaining. Just as they got onto the platform just off to the right - Fred and George pushing and pulling Rosie over to one of the front corners - Bagman's voice was magically projecting across the three platforms, no doubtedly having been loudened by the spell sonorus

"Well, all our champions are ready for the second task, whichwill start on my whistle. They have precisely an hour to recoverwhat has been taken from them. On the count of three, then.One... two... three!" His voice boomed, and as the countdown ended, cannons exploded and the champions had dived into the water, Harry following seconds later. 

The first five minutes passed, everyone diligently watching the lake. However, nothing was happening, and so, the twins turned to Rosie, bored. But the girl didn't return their smiles - instead she looked rather concerned and turning the slightest bit green.

"What's wrong? Feeling a bit seasick?" George smirked, expecting Rosie to laugh, but she didn't, only frowned and stared at the water. "Rosie? What is it." 

"I'm not sure.. but I have a bad feeling. Something doesn't feel right." She said. Rosie's gaze flickered down to the water again, her reflection staring back up at her. 

"It'll be fine, don't worry about it. Dumbledore won't let anyone get killed." Fred reassured her, before digging his elbow into his twin's side. "Would he?"

"Oh no definitely not. He'd get too much trouble with the ministry. Loads of paperwork and parents complaining. Too much effort." George said and Fred agreed. 

Rosie laughed, but only for a few moments before lapsing into the same, worried silence. The twins exchanged glances, not knowing how they could help her feel less worried by it. 

"Do you think they could get disqualified if someone from the audience ends up in the lake?" Rosie asked hurriedly, turning to the twins. "Like say, if I just happened to.. fall in."

"Rosie no." George's eyes widened. The twins might love to break the rules and be as reckless as they could, but this just seemed a little too reckless. "What if you interfere and someone ends up hurt?" He continued.

"See, but what if I don't interfere and someone ends up dead. I don't have a bad feeling for no reason. Something's happening down there and I don't know what. And Godric knows what the other mermaids - aka, not my relatives - are doing. They only just put up with me coming to visit." Rosie said.

"Rosie, it's not a good idea." Fred said, but it was sort of too late. The Kersey girl was already pushing her way to the back of the platform, moving down into one of the boats.

She looked up at the stands, trying to see if anyone was looking. She began pulling off her jacket, then her jeans, and then her shirt. She wrapped her shirt around her body, but would take it off as she got into the water. 

"Would you mind, after the task has finished, if you bring me some clothes down to the bank. You know the one we sit at in the summer?" Rosie asked, Fred and George nodded, Fred holding the pile of her discarded clothes.

"Be careful." George said, and Rosie nodded, smiling. "Right, nobodies looking." He said, and Fred smiled. Rosie smirked slightly, pulling off her shirt and handing it to Fred, the twins trying their best not to look, but certainly blushing.

"I'll see you soon." Rosie said, before diving into the cold water, the twins peering over the railing until the darkness swallowed her and they couldn't see her anymore.

Neither of them knowing what she would do, both hoping she would be alright.