The meeting and mission (part 1)

Three months into the 6 month patrol duty, the H44 was at cruising speed as it travelled up one of the shipping lanes after escorting one of the monthly supply convoys to the Japanese islands when it received a distress signal from a nearby cruise ship.

Glancing up from her radio set the radio operator called out to Emilia and said, "Ma'am a nearby cruise ship has just launched a distress signal, we are the nearest vessel to them, what shall we do?"

In response, Emilia said, "We'll respond to their distress signal, we are part of the Blue Mermaids, it is our duty to help those in need, what is our estimated time of arrival at the incident?"

"We're 30 minutes away, if we turn now, Ma'am" the navigator called out.

"Alright, tell the cruise ship that we're on our way, and set a course to the accident," Emilia said.

"Yes Ma'am!" The navigation officer and the radio operator called.

Radioing the sinking cruise liner, the radio operator said into her radio, "Unknown liner, this is the KMS H44, we are heading to your position, what is your status? Over."

"KMS H44, this is the SS Kyushu, we're taking in water and we have about 40 minutes before we capsize. We have launched half of the lifeboats but the ones on the port side are underwater, any assistance that you can give us would be greatly appreciated. Over." The Kyushu said in response.

"SS Kyushu, this is KMS H44, we are 25 minutes away from your position, please update us if anything occurs on our way to you. Over." The radio operator said.

"KMS H44, understood, we'll keep you posted if any changes occur, thank you for coming to help us. Out." The Kyushu responded.

"Ma'am, the cruise ship SS Kyushu is taking on water and they can only launch half of the lifeboats as it is listing heavily to port, they have about 35 minutes until they capsize." The radio operator said to Emilia.

"Very well, keep me posted if any changes occur," Emilia said as she looked out of one of the bridge's windows.

"Yes Ma'am," the radio operator said as she put her headphones back on to listen to any incoming messages from the stricken liner.

25 minutes later:

Arriving at the sinking cruise liner, the H44 slowed to a halt so they could pick up the survivors in the lifeboats. Watching how the rescue was going Emilia spotted a small brunette being thrown clear of the sinking liner which gave of a groaning noise before it split into two pieces and dragging debris with it. Seeing that the young girl would be in danger, Emilia rushed down ladders to the deck passing her surprised second in command. Upon reaching the deck and handing her jacket to a nearby crew member and made to jump into water all the while her crew tried to stop her. Ignoring them Emilia jumped into the water and began to swim towards the unconscious girl who was gradually being dragged towards the sinking ship. When Emilia reached the brunette, the girl was nearly completely underwater, pulling the girl onto her back and securing the brunette's arms around her neck, Emilia began her journey back to her ship. Climbing up the ladder onto the deck Emilia said, "Can someone get me two towels and blankets?"

"Yes Ma'am," a nearby member said as they saluted and then rushed off to get their captain and the young child a blanket to warm themselves. As the member came back with two large towels Emilia grabbed them from her and wrapped the young girl in one of them before draping the other over her shoulders. Speaking to her second in command, Emilia said, "Lieutenant continue with the evacuation and head to the nearest port to drop off the people, also ask around if this girl is related to anyone," Emilia said gesturing to the girl in her arms.