42 / closer

"Are you sure about this?" Quinn asked, glancing at me curiously.

"I need this closure," I said faintly. It was still early in the morning and yet, the dark cloud was already blocking the rays of the sun. The weather seemed to match my mood at this moment— dreadful and dark. The wind caressing my hair and skin from the open window of my sister's car greatly sent the aroma of the cold daybreak.

We were on our way back to our town. I had to do this so that I could see him with my own eyes— that he's gonna be there, confined with his life rotting away. My rage for him was so palpable but somewhere in my heart, I pitied him. In the first place, he was mentally damaged because of the life that was forcefully shoved into him. That Malum tortured and brainwashed Jet's whole existence like a trained lion in a circus. However, we all have choices and Jet chose to be consumed by his own insanity. He let others systemize his own beliefs and his own life. And those choices nearly called upon the death to visit me with blood.

"I'm surprised that Hilary let you talk to him," my half-sister stated, causing a smile to my face.

"She understands that I need this. In fact, she wanted to come along with us but she has her first nude art class today."

I heard Quinn chuckled softly. "I just can't believe you're engaged with her now. And you know what? If I'm in your shoes, I would be willing to marry her as soon as possible."

I frowned at her sudden statement as my eyes shifted at her briefly before going back to the road. "Why don't you marry that Feisty Butt then?"

Quinn sighed. "I-I just want Arisa to open up her options. I don't want to shackle her in a kind of relationship that is forbidding from the start. With my rare condition, it's going to be difficult for her."

I shook my head, totally disagreeing. "Arisa loves you and I can see that. But if you're going to be such an ass, then maybe you should break it up to her instead of wallowing about something that isn't yours to decide. At the end of the day, no matter how difficult you are, it's still her decision to stay with you."

"You don't understand, Loe," Quinn muttered in difficulty. "Since she found out about my condition, she always checks my body if there's some sort of injury or something. She treats me like a fragile glass. I don't want her to live every day scared about my well-being. I want to live her life to the fullest."

I chuckled bitterly as I turned on the stereo in a low volume. As I expected from Arisa, a classical piano song played instantly. Luckily, she lent me her car so that I could drive my way to my destination. She just didn't come along because she was going to meet up with her cousin at the university. I hope she wouldn't run to her ex-girlfriend though.

"Can you blame her? Of course, she doesn't want to lose you. It's just the way it is. Arisa loves you so much. And if you keep on complaining about how protective she is with you, better lose her for good."

"No way! I don't wanna lose her," Quinn exclaimed.

I shrugged my shoulder. "See?! It's just the way it is. Better suck it up!"

Quinn burst out laughing. "Is the world ending? You're defending my girlfriend for the first time?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, you're just being an ass to my fiancée's best friend. You know that I'm protective of Hilary and that includes the people in her life."

"I get it. You're whipped," Quinn countered back with a smirk.

"Yes, I'm so damn lucky so I'm so whipped. It doesn't make me less if admit it anyway. Hilary is so precious to me. If only I could give her all the stars in this universe, I gladly would and that wouldn't even be enough to honor her beauty inside out."