Part 10

When Eric had gone to Demi's tent and found it empty, he'd freaked out. If she had tried to run from camp he'd have to hunt her down and bring her back. Then his instincts would overtake him and lock her up to keep her near him. And then she would hate him and so on. Eric just really didn't want to go down that road. He could never do something that would hurt his mate, but instincts could get the better of him.

He followed her scent and when he got to the edge of camp, found that it turned back around. It became clear that Demi had gotten lost amongst the tents, and eventually started going towards the center of camp where the 'mess hall' was. When he found her gaping at the food, he wondered how much she was allowed to eat at the Ura camp. It sent an insatiable rage through Eric, but he pushed it down.

His mate looked beautiful standing in the morning light. Her thick auburn hair was sparkling in the sun and was up in a bun with some kind of hairpin. Demi had a simple blue blouse on and was also wearing a leather jacket, which Eric thought was strange since it would be getting much warmer once the sun came up. She stood out amongst the camp, but somehow fit in perfectly at the same time.

When he led her toward the line, he wanted to ask about the jacket but was interrupted by many of his warriors' greetings. Eric decided that he wouldn't push Demi to be friendly and that she would introduce herself when she was comfortable enough. Many males tended to show off their mate, but Eric would never do that to her. She hesitated to scope food up and constantly asked what something was.

When they had finally sat down, Demi was very quiet but answered any questions the males had. Eric noticed that she rubbed at something under her jacket mindlessly. He guessed that it was the Ura branding. Eric was pretty sure that Demi didn't know she was doing it. 

Demi had been a healer for six years, and had healed all types of injuries and illness'. Eric had thought it strange that Demi had been with the Ura clan for eight years, but was only their healer for six.

As the conversation started to die down, she had asked about magic. The twins didn't even hesitate to answer her, and she didn't hesitate to ask questions. Demi had seemed very enthusiastic about their telepathy, which was an interesting power. Doyle gave a look to Eric that silently asked if they should be sharing their magic. Demi was from an enemy camp, and they didn't know if they could trust her fully yet, but Eric gave the go-ahead to Doyle.

Doyle explained his powers rather well, and with a lack of irritation that he usually had when people didn't understand. Which was generally all the time since nobody had heard of such a power as his. Eric hadn't either until he met Doyle. Immediately after Doyle had explained his ability, Demi had turned to question him.

Eric was quite surprised when she asked for the specifics of his magic. Many people didn't know that were two different types of earth magic, and he hadn't expected Demi to know either. And she didn't make any remarks on how a general had plant magic. Usually, people laughed at it, but she seemed intrigued. After that, a debate had started on which magic was the best, and she managed to get her opinion in every once in a while.

When breakfast ended he told her about chore rotations. As the healer, she wouldn't participate in them since she'd probably always be busy. Everybody else did chores, except Smed since he was also always busy. Some days you could be excused as long as you found a replacement.

"Doyle's going to be helping you today," Eric said. Doyle was the only male he really wanted her around since he was already mated, and Demi would need all the help she could get with the healer tent. He would be there himself, but Smed had said that he needed to speak with him.

"What exactly will I be needing help with?" She asked.

Honestly, he didn't know how to describe Leech and his way of healing to her so he just said, "You'll see. Trust me." She seemed to stiffen at the second statement. How many people had she ever trusted? How many have ever asked for her trust? Eric could only hope that she could trust him someday.

Doyle led her away, in the direction of the healer's tent. Demi just smiled and waved goodbye, before disappearing into the crowd. After taking a second to fight the urge to follow her, Eric headed for the blacksmith.

When he got there he walked right in, "Alright, what's so important?"

Smed was at the table Demi had sat on the other day. In his hands was the chain he'd taken off of Eric's mate. "Well, it could be nothing. But I thought you should know." He handed Eric the shackles, and he immediately felt the magic drain from his body.

Dropping the shackles he took a few steps back. "My magic's not back." Eric mused. It was extremely weird. Some metals could stop the magic from flowing in your body, like iron, but once you got out of range from them it'd come back.

Smed just nodded, "The metal absorbed all your magic, it will take a while to recharge." Eric looked at Smed bewildered, he'd never encountered such a metal before, "It's a very rare metal, from the Isles to the east. I've only heard of it, never actually seen it."

"Why would they use it on Demi? She's human, no magic to drain. Why waste something so rare on somebody who it wouldn't affect?" It didn't make sense unless she did have magic, but magic in humans is unheard of. Smed picked up the strange metal with gloves and threw on to the table, probably to study later.

"I don't know."