137

"Can we talk?" Deanne asked, interrupting my thoughts as I had watched the party. I looked at her and offered a soft smile but she ignored it. "Now, please? Outside."

I frowned. "Sure. What about?"

She ignored me and led the way out of the house. I slowly followed her, wondering what had gotten her so bummed... angry.

"Are you okay?" I asked when I closed the door behind me. Deanne turned around, arms folded over her chest.

"Back off."

"Back off? I'm not sure what you—"

"I saw you. The way you looked at Fred. The way you kissed him on the cheek."

I laughed. Then I stopped. Then I laughed again. "You can't be serious, Deanne..."

"He's got a girlfriend."

"And I have a husband!" I exclaimed. "I think I know what you're accusing me of and I do not appreciate it."

Deanne scoffed, rolling her eyes as she looked away. "I've seen it, Lizzie. I've lived with you at the flat for a few days. It's obvious that you love him."

"Of course I love him." I told her. "As a friend. He's my best friend, my brother-in-law. He's family."

"I'm family!" She yelled. "But you don't act like that towards me!"

"Because you've always been a bitch towards me!" I yelled at her. "Ever since we were kids. You always picked on me. Sure, we had good moments where we could play together and be friends but I don't think I have a number on the times you called me a freak because of my love for books. It's actually ironic how you ended up dating Fred who loves books just as much as I do."

"Don't. I know I'm not perfect. I'm far from perfect but I love Fred and—"

"I'm sure you do." I nodded. "But you're being childish."

"I am not childish."

"Yes, you are!" I huffed. "And it is insulting that you for one moment would accuse me of cheating on my husband... and with his own brother."

"I am nearly speaking on what I witnessed."

"What you witnessed was me, giving my best friend a friendly peck on the cheek to wish him a happy birthday. I am not letting you ruin their day with your jealousy, got me?"

When she didn't respond, I turned around to walk back inside, but her voice stopped me. "I just want you to leave him alone. I am not only talking about the kiss. I'm talking about all the hugging, the cuddling, the way you laugh at his jokes."

I turned towards her again, taking a step forward. She couldn't possibly be serious right now.

"I do not have to do what you order me to." I said. "If you didn't know, Fred has been one of my best friends since we were eleven. That's eight years, Deanne. In August, I married his brother who happens to be the love of my life and I would never betray him. That also makes Fred my brother-in-law. Not only that but he also is like a brother to me. Every time I hug him, every time I cuddle with him, it's in a friendly manor. That's something we have done for years, ever since we were eleven. I do the same things with Kathy but do you accuse us of being in love? You're being unreasonable, sexist and I do not condone that."

She didn't say anything but her eyes were focused on me and her jawline was tense.

"Oh, I also hug Charlie and Bill from time to time. I've hugged them for longer than five minutes. I must be going for the whole crew, huh? What a little slut I am, aren't I? Hitting on my husbands brothers by hugging them." I said, rolling my eyes. "Can't you hear how ridiculous it sounds? Fred loves you very much,  I know that for sure but you are going to lose him if you keep this up. Get over yourself."

I turned back around and made my way inside. George was talking to his father in the kitchen so I decided to find Kathleen and Lee to sit with them.

Now, I just wanted to forget about Deanne and when stupid accusations. Being in love with Fred... how stupid could she be.