Ch.52 Clare Bear

Chapter 52

Maya felt Heyder's warmth wash over her body like a blanket on a cold morning. His arms wrapped around her tightly as he pulled her closer and helped her sit up. His brown eyes had lost their red glow but now they were filled with worry as he scanned Maya's face.

"Please tell me you're okay," Heyder whispered as he lowered his mouth to Maya's ear.

Maya nodded her head. She gripped the hem of his shirt and lowered her head upon his chest. Lifting her thick lashes, she looked up at Clare.

"Come here," Heyder said to the girl.

Clare didn't move. She remained rooted to the ground, cradling her broken wrist to her chest as her wide gray eyes watched Maya.

"Clare," Heyder called the girl. "Come here."

Clare quietly shook her head. The corner of her eyes began to water and her lip began to tremble. Heyder frowned as he stared at the strange child. Her dark hair stuck out in every direction. He was sure the queen would not be pleased with the princess.

As the jinn sat staring at Clare, wondering why she wasn't moving, Maya slowly lifted her head off his chest. He tried to pull her back, but she placed a hand over his heart and shook her head. Very slowly, she turned to look at her cousin.

"Clare...." Maya held up her hand. "Come here."

"No," Clare bit down on her bottom lip and shook her head once more.

"I know you're scared," Maya said gently. "But, baby that's me. That's not what you're really feeling."

"You're scared of me," Clare said, her eyes dropped to her lap and her voice became a whisper. "I feel it."

"Clare," Maya tried to push away from Heyder. "Just please come here. Let me look at your hand."

Clare didn't move. She looked up and wiped the tear away from her face and began to look around.

"Heyder," Maya turned to the jinn for assistance.

"Clare, Maya wants you near her," Heyder said. "Yes, she's scared. She's scared because this is the first time you are letting her sense you. But that doesn't mean she doesn't love you anymore."

"He's right," Maya said. "Come here. Please."

Clare's restless eyes came to a stop on Maya's face. She held her gaze for a second before rushing up and running into the girl's arms. Maya immediately wrapped her in her embrace as Heyder took her broken wrist into his hand.

"I don't want you to be scared of me," Clare began to sob, her voice muffled by Maya's shirt.

"Fear is the unknown," Maya said as she stroked the girl's soft dark hair. "Help me understand what is going on and I won't be so afraid anymore."

"I can't," Clare pulled away slightly. She wanted to move away but Heyder held her hand firmly as he healed her broken wrist.

"There you go," he said after a short pause as he sat her hand back on her lap. "Good as new. Sorry about that."

"Let's go home," Maya looked at the jinn.

"No!" Clare said in alarm. "I can't have you talk about this in front of my parents."

As she spoke, her hand began to move toward Maya's head. Heyder frowned as his hand snapped up and stopped Clare before she could touch Maya.

"I'm not going to let you erase her memory," he said.