Chapter 39

Fred's POV

We jump back from each other at the sound of Charlie's voice. Of course he had to show up right now with that huge smirk on his face.

"There's no way I can sneak you guys up to the dragons right now," Charlie's smile grows bigger as he continues. "So I guess you two are going to have to go up to the castle."

If looks could kill, Charlie would lifeless on the floor, but unfortunately them couldn't. Without a word, I pull Eva's map from my pocket, and start our journey back to the castle.

"Wait!" Charlie calls, "I need to know when you two got together! Bill and I had a bet-"

"We're not together," I yell too louder. Eva flinches at my harsh words, and I silently curse myself. Why did I have to say that.

"G'bye Charlie," Eva calls softly.

Neither of us bother to wait for his response, and we immediately start to head back. Awkward silence fills the entire walk back until we reach the Gryffindor common room.

"Here," I hand her the map back, "er, goodnight Ev."

"Goodnight Fred," she whispers back not meeting my eye.

All I want to do is turn around and stop her. Tell her that I truly like her, and I want us to be together. But the Gryffindor courage that I usually have doesn't make its appearance, and instead I watch her walk away.

Eva's POV

The next day I try to rid my mind of Fred, and skip all my classes to head to the forest. I needed to practice for the first task.

"Glacius Maxima!" I shout the spell that Charlie made at a bird.

The bird squawks as half of its body is frozen still. I move closer to it feeling disappointed. I can't even freeze a whole bird, I would never be able to do it to a dragon. I mutter the counter spell, and as soon as it's freed, the bird bolts. It made me sad that I had to freeze the poor animals, but I needed the practice on living, moving things.

"What are you doing?" I turn around to see Ivan Krum walking down the trail towards me.

"Practicing for the first task. And failing," I sigh heavily.

"Freezing the dragons huh? Clever," I turn towards the brunette in surprise.

"I forgot about your brother. How's he know?" I ask curiously.

"Karkaoff probably." he just shrugs. "Can I help in anyway?"

"I need to practice my shield charm," I smile back at him. "Why don't you give me a go?"

The rest of the day I spend going back in forth between practicing my shielding spell and my freezing spell. The shield spell I get the hang of quickly, but Charlie's spell I still have little success in.

"I think we should go in," suggests Ivan who had stayed by my side the whole time.

"Your right. Thanks for staying with me," I smile at the younger Krum.

"Of course."

We trek up to the castle slowly, and start to move towards the Gryffindor common room, only to be stopped by a younger blonde.

"Where have you been Black?" Draco Malfoy snarls.

"Oh hello cousin," I smile towards the blonde who recoils at my words.

"Cousin?" Ivan asks, looking between us.

"No. You and your father have been disowned for a long time, and why is this Bulgarian here?" he sneers at Ivan. "Leave."

"Ivan-"

"No," he stops me, "it's fine. See you later, Eva."

I smile at the boy as he walks away. "What do you want, Draco?"

"Don't call me that," he snaps furiously.

"What do you want, Draco?" I repeat, smirking at how annoyed the younger Slytherin looked.

"I-I was just wondering if your ready for the first task?" his normal cold, strong voice is quieter.

"I will be soon." I start to walk away, but call back. "Careful Draco you don't want to start worrying about me now."

I can hear him scowl and hiss about Mudbloods, as I continue on. When I finally reach The Fat Lady, she is annoyed with me entering again but allows it. I walk in, searching for Harry, but instead only find George.

"Hey Georgie. Where's Harry?"

"In our dorm," he points to the boy stairs, not even looking up from a piece of parchment he was writing on.

I make my way up the stairs quickly, ignoring the other boys, and head to the 6th year boys dorm. Pushing the door open I call out, "Harry are you-"

I can't help the loud gasp that escapes my mouth. In front of me stands Fred- half naked- and Harry nowhere in sight. "Sorry," my voice is higher then ever as I quickly leave the room only to run into Harry.

"Oh you're here already. You ready to see Sirius?" I just nod at the younger boy as we make our way back to the common room for our meeting.

Luckily for me, Fred never comes back down and George and the rest of the Gryffindors leave, heading up to bed.

Harry—who had gone to see the dragons tonight—finally ran back into the common room right as I was about to fall asleep. At the same exact time Sirius' head popped out of the fire making me shriek in fear.

"Bloody hell Sirius!" I yell as quietly as I can.

"Sirius...how are you doing?" Harry runs to my side, acting like people's heads popped out of fireplaces all the time.

"Never mind me. How are you two?"

"I'm..." Harry went on spilling his whole life story fairly quickly, which I can't help but to drone out a bit.

"Eva, darling? How about you?" Sirius' fiery head turns to me.

"Well, I saw Charlie and he says that the spell I'm going to use won't work and I've been practicing and it hasn't been going that well...but I'll get it. I will," I try to say confidently. "Oh and as you can see, Harry and I have become more civil."

"Yeah, it was a nice here about a fight between my godson and daughter. Well, as for the dragons, for both of you, we can deal with. It's how you and Harry's name ended up in the Goblet that worries me." He takes a long sigh before explaining how the Bulgarian Headmaster is a Death Eater.

"-I don't think Karkaroff would go running back to Voldemort but...you never know. Of and as for the dragons I'm sure Eva's told you, but don't stun them. There's a spell-"

We all freeze at the sight of Harry putting his hand up. Footsteps are coming closer and closer causing Sirius to disappear from the fire quickly.

"What are you two doing down here? Talking about champion things?" Ron stands there in night clothes looking exhausted and angry.

I stand up quickly trying to make my exit before the two best friends explode. "I'm going to go. G'night Harry, Ron."

The two ignore me as I slip out.