07. The First Fight

---

The next couple of days flew by and there were no signs of Malfoy or his mother. Hermione was Malfoy-free and she loved every second of it. In fact, she was so relieved to have gone a few days without Malfoy that she was humming a soft tune as she made herself some breakfast. The weather was gorgeous: soft breeze with a touch of the sun’s warm rays.

Today was a good day.

Nothing could ruin i--

knock. knock. knock.

Hermione stopped flipping her egg as she peered over at her door. “Hello?” Maybe she had heard wrong. That’s strange.

knock. knock. knock.

Hermione sighed and furrowed her eyebrows, turning off the stove. She wiped her hands off of the washcloth and walked over to her door. “Who is it?” She called out, but got silence in return. The silence only made her frustrated. Rolling her eyes and huffing and puffing, she opened the door. “I swear, Malfoy, if you’re just here trying to play one of yo--Ron.” Hermione’s body froze as her face hardened. “Wh, what are you …” Her voice trailed off as her mind drew a blank. What was she supposed to say? How was she supposed to react? Her face softened at the sight of his pale, ghastly complexion. Ron looked as if he had been starving on the side of the road for days, maybe even weeks. He looked horrible. And she somehow felt guilty - as if it was her fault. “Uhm, ho, how are you?” She managed to squeak out, awkwardly fidgeting in front of him.

Ron continued to bore his oceanic blue ones into her warm chocolate brown ones. He took a step forward - just a small step. And he lifted his hand up, as if to reach for her face but something stopped him. His hand dropped back down to his side as he cleared his throat. “I, I uh … Hermione, I’m here to - to …” Apologize, Ron, how hard is it to say that. “I’m here to …”

“Granger, I need you.” A voice suddenly cut in from down the hall. Hermione and Ron both looked over and saw Draco Malfoy walking towards them. Draco waved over at Hermione with a wink as he stood next to Ron. “Granger, I need you, now. How’s it going, Weasley?” He asked casually, looking the ever-so-confused ginger up and down. “You look rough,” Draco joked, chuckling softly to himself.

A look of hurt flashed across Ron’s face as he looked up at Hermione. “Are you two together, now?” He asked softly.

Hermione immediately shook her head. “No, of course not.” She quickly refused, waving her hand in the air as if to dismiss the subject right away.

Draco scoffed as he leaned against the doorway. “What’s that supposed to mean, love?” He asked with a soft smile on his face. Hermione wanted to throw up. Ron quickly grew livid.

“It’s only been a few weeks and you’re … shagging Malfoy?” Ron asked with an incredulous scoff. “You know what, sorry I barged in so rudely. I hope I didn’t mess anything up for you two.” He said, glaring at Hermione before stalking off.

“No, Ron!” Hermione shouted out after him, running out the door. But someone  held her back. Draco. “Let me go, I need to tell him we aren’t any--”