28. VISITS

The next day, being one of those lazy-during-Sunday families, my mom and I have a brunch with my family at grandparents' and I spend time with my brothers when suddenly, the doorbell rings.

My brothers and I race to see who it is. I reach the door first and see a somewhat familiar—but I can't exactly point it out—girl about Ajay's age sporting a huge smile just as she catches sight of me.

"Vicky?" She exclaims, her smile growing wider.

"I'm sorry, I don't remem—" I'm cut off as she tackles me in a bear hug.

Ajay and Shravan reach us and Ajay suddenly exclaims, "Rita!"

Pulling away, I ask her, "Rita? My dame-in-cotton-armor Rita?"

Scowling, she lightly slaps me and we lead her in.

"How many times have I told you not to call me that?"

"That ain't gonna stop me and you know it." I wink and continue, "So, how're you? It's been long."

"I'm good kid, how're you? Any new boy? What happened to Ved?" She wiggles her eyebrows.

We reach our parents and grandparents and they talk for some time about how Rita is and that they missed her while she was away.

Then, Shravan pulls her to us and we talk for some time, catching up with each other and I didn't miss the lovesick puppy glances Ajay would send Rita which sometimes she would catch and blush.

Ugh, why can't these two kiss and marry and have babies?

Because they're considerate enough to not make me an aunt during my teenager days, thank you very much.

"So, any interests? Ved?" Rita bumps her shoulders with mine.

"Yes and No."

"What do you mean?" She asks, confused.

"I mean that I do have a boyfriend but not Ved." I say, earning knowing looks from Shravan and Ajay.

"Uh-huh. And who's this boyfriend of yours? Don't tell me it's Dean Winchester or so help me god—"

"No, no. An actual boyfriend. Nikhil."

"Oh the one who's 'the best best-friend you could ever ask for'? Or at least that's what you said during one of our calls? I thought you guys were like brother and sister or something?" She questions skeptically.

I wrinkle my nose and reply, "Nope. We're official now and Ved and I are good friends too."

I leave out Ved's sexuality because it was not my place to tell anyone about it.

"They've even said the L word." Shravan butts in.

Rita gives me an impressed nod while I mutter in embarrassment, "He hasn't."

Thankfully, no one heard me and Rita commented, "I was rootin' for you and Ved though..."

I wrinkle my nose again and shake my head.

"How's your Pa? Still on board a ship?"

A foggy lump forms in my throat and I swallow hard before replying, "He's no more."

Rita gives a confused look and frowns once realization dawns. She looks at Ajay questioningly and they whisper something as Rita grimaces with glossed eyes.

Giving me a tight hug, she rocks me while I awkwardly pat her back, my mind going back to the funeral.

But I push the grim thoughts away with one thing on my mind.