51 | Which way's up?

How do you think the characters look like? This poster by @_tv.158 is a fun take, so thank you!

Chapter 51: Which way's up?

FYI the above character poster is made by a reader!! 

The above poster is made by another reader, so please be kind. I have specifically not mentioned how Millie looks like to encourage creativity and focus away from looks (since it's the inside that counts anyways) 

7AM

I felt a numbness when I stepped outside this morning. I had been so excited for our trip. I'd even packed the night before.

But now, I was carrying more baggage than I ever expected: Emotional baggage that weighed down on me with every step. 

But seriously, how could I kiss my boyfriend knowing his parents tried to destroy my family's life?

I try to tell myself that Luke is different. He is different. We are different. We are not our parents...

And yet, we're still their kids. We can't change our history. 

I placed my hand in my cardigan pocket and wrapped my fingers around the little bottle I'd plucked out of my mom's cabinet. I've never done this before, but I was feeling weak, alone, scared and I wanted to forget. 

A little alcohol won't do me any bad, would it? We were about to go on holiday with loads of alcohol – what's the difference if I started early?

I saw Luke walk across the street from his home to mine. He was wearing a dark blue coat and it was open, showing his gray sweater underneath. His hands were stuffed in his jacket pockets and he was looking down at his white shoes. 

Am I being deceived? Is the whole world deceived by pretty looks?

It doesn't help that my dad never came home, that I'm leaving my mom alone for new years and that she's gone through a rough decade.

You know what else I find hard? I find it hard to say no to anyone. I'd like to say no to this trip now, but I made Cearra go and Chad had organized for me to be there. I didn't want to disappoint Luke. Why do we grow up being taught to say yes to everyone? 

I know my mom's hypocritical for lusting over my boyfriend in the most inappropriate way and then criticizing his entire existence the next. I know she's out of line when she calls me ugly and says my future is bleak. But she's my mom.

And she's sacrificed part of her life for mine and Flora's.

"Minnie," Luke said, reaching me, "You're staring at the garden gnome again."

I didn't even realize. I'd been staring at gnomey while my thoughts spun in circles around my head.

"Here," he said, taking my duffel bag out of my hands. 

It was so cold outside that when he wrapped his arms around me, all my hyper active thoughts cooled down.  I calmed down.  I pressed my ear against his chest, to feel the warmth of him. 

He let go of the strap to my duffel bag and it slowly dropped to the ground beside us. He held onto me tighter, sensing that something was wrong. I felt the strength of his grip and felt comforted by his care.  

His chin pressed down on my head and he murmured, "Whatever it is, it's going to be ok."

**

~Airport~

The destination board lit up with cities and flights heading all around the world. Some boarding now, some taking off and others delayed. The whole world was out there.