[48]

"What are we doing here?" Donghyuck asked, yet was left confused as Soomin shut the car door instead of answering

Like her, the boy also decided to scramble out of the vehicle, being met with the blinding artificial lighting coming from a near lamp light. Looking around, they had parked in a free parking space, many old and sketchy cars around them. Around them were older-looking buildings that illuminated the space themselves, yet the small alleyways in between them looked as dark as a black hole. Not only that, there were numerous weird and occasionally dangerous-looking individuals lurking in this part of the city.

But despite the dangers, Soomin was already skipping away in some random direction. Donghyuck scanned the area once again before locking the car and swiftly catching up to her. 

"Isn't it too late for this?" He cringed, the setting sun mostly behind the horizon, only basking sunlight on the other side of the city. 

"What? Scared?" Soomin teased him with cheerful eyes.

Donghyuck scoffed, looking down at her dominantly. "Me? Scared?"

"See? You're not. Now be quiet and let me take you some place." 

He had absolutely no idea what she meant by 'some place', yet didn't put much thought into it. After all, she had already captured his trust with ease and he felt comfortable enough to let her walk around on her own.

Suddenly, they left the maze of smaller streets between buildings and came out onto a bigger road. There wasn't much traffic, the occasional car passing by at a low speed.

What really grasped Donghyuck's attention was the huge river. Han river, that's where she had taken him. In front of them extended a huge, ancient looking bridge with red, rusted hinges holding it up. Despite it's worn-out looks, it seemed to be stable as there were train tracks running along it.

He didn't notice the passer-by light turning green, and was only brought out of his daze when someone grabbed him by the sleeve. Looking down, he captured Soomin's adorable face lit up by the golden rays of the setting sun along the horizon.

"Why are you still standing? Let's go!" She exclaimed, dragging him along towards the other side of the road.

Donghyuck wordlessly complied, honestly having no other option than to do so. 

Soomin was surprisingly energetic for it being the evening after such an exhausting day. There was a small and sweet smile constantly on her lips, as if she was excited for something on this old bridge.

Yet as expected, there was absolutely nothing. 

"What is this even." Donghyuck asked, rolling his eyes as he captured the waves of the river beneath them as soon as they stepped foot on the bridge.

"All you do is complain. Just listen to me this once." To his surprise, she scolded him. 

About to revolt, Donghyuck filled up his lungs with oxygen, but as always, he was interrupted. 

"Alright. We're here." Soomin turned to him with a bright and proud smile, stopping not far from the middle of the bridge.

The boy took a look around, the bridge being absolutely void of people or any life whatsoever. It seemed like they had penetrated through some invisible wall and were in a bubble of silence and peace. The only thing that could be heard was the water moving under them and the occasional distant honk of a car. 

"Could you please explain what we're even doing here?" Donghyuck asked once more, now a bit more desperately.

"Have you not watched any dramas? Like ever?"
"Uh, no."
"What do you even do in your free time?"
"Not watch dramas apparently."
"Ok no need to be sassy sir."
"Just tell me-"

"Okay, okay, fine." Soomin exclaimed, looking at him as if he was a fetus with a brain the size of a peanut. "Listen up. So, this is a way to relieve your stress or bottled up emotions, alright? I used to come here a lot."

"What is?" Donghyuck asked, still confused as ever.

Just then, he heart a loud whistle approaching. He turned his head to see an old cargo train making it's way in their direction along the tracks.

"Oh, it's coming!" Soomin yelled out in excitement. "Now just watch what I do."

As the train came up right behind them, causing such loud noise that Donghyuck's ears began to ring, the girl leaned her elbows on the railing and to his surprise, she began screaming.

"MOM!" She began, forcing the boy to flinch in surprise. "I DON'T WANNA GET MARRIED! PLEASE COME DOWN AND SCOLD DAD AND NEVER LET ME SEE SUNWOO AGAIN, ALRIGHT? I LOVE YOU AND I MISS YOU!" 

"What are you doing?!" Donghyuck's voice was barely audible against all the noise that was made behind them by the train.

"WHAT?" Soomin turned to him, getting closer to hear him.

"Nevermind."

"YOUR TURN NOW! SCREAM WHATEVER YOU LIKE." She continued yelling. "QUICKLY, THE TRAIN'S GOING TO BE GONE SOON!" 

Donghyuck thought this was completely stupid. Screaming won't do anything except increase pain and suffering, making your emotions feel more like a tornado that you're drowning in than you already do.

But something in Soomin's expecting gaze made him completely change his perspective. Somehow this girl was able to make him see things and feel things differently.

And driven by this unknown feeling creeping up in the deepest parts of his heart, he inhaled a deep breath before turning towards the river.

"I..." He yelled out, not really sure what to say. He could feel Soomin's excited and curious eyes on him, yet it didn't bother him. No, it gave him more confidence and strength. "I REALLY WANT TO BE HAPPY."

There was silence, only the anxiously loud sound of the train passing behind them. He was taking short breaths, his heart rate doubling as all of his emotions attacked him at once.

"I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THIS LIFE!" Donghyuck continued yelling, feeling something like a knot begin to slack in his heart. "I WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING, I PROMISE!"

By now, the last carriage of the train passed by before completely, leaving the bridge in a calm bubble of silence once again.

Donghyuck was panting, feeling as if his soul, that had been suffering so much for so long, had finally been released. That for this one moment, he could finally breathe as himself, Donghyuck, rather than the sick person that had overtaken his body for the last few years.

He finally felt... alive.

And his heart and stomach exploded, heart running up to color his ears in a bright red as he felt a tiny hand slip right into his, and he knew exactly who's it was.

"You will be happy, Donghyuck." Her voice was so sweet, so kind, so needed by him. He turned his head to capture her breathtaking features, still illuminated by the golden rays of the disappearing sun. 

She was smiling, her lips creating a set of two deep, adorable dimples on the two tips of her lips. Her eyes were sparking with joy, pride and hope as she stared deep into his eyes. And her hand was so soft and warm, nicer to touch than anything else inthe world.

"I promise that you'll be happy." 

This is so wholesome omggg

Anyways i srsly need to finish this book so I can get started on other ones