Chapter 12: Batting Cage Blowup

Stepping into the cafeteria the next morning, Callie's eyes fall on Josh and another girl sitting at the same table and close. She takes a seat at the table with her friends, trying to figure out who the girl is. A sense of jealousy takes over when she notices the girl flirting with Josh, watching her hand go under the table and onto his thigh. Not being able to watch anymore, Callie stands up, tossing the rest of her food into the trash can and leaving the cafeteria. She finds herself walking to the batting cages that are set up in the gym.

            "Well look, an arm and a swing," she looks over and seeing Josh step in.

            "Thanks," she answers shortly, managing to give him a half smile, hitting a few more balls.

            "Did I do something wrong?"

            "No," Callie answers, setting the bat down. Stepping out of the cage, Callie walks past Josh.

             "What did I do to piss you off?" he asks confused.

            "What's the deal with you?" she fires back.

            "What do you mean?"

            "You come up here like this badass and you were flirting with me that night out in the parking lot and then you flirt with other girls in front of me. Who does that?" she asks, running a hand through her hair, beginning to walk away.

            "You don't want to date me. Your friends don't like me and your mom was a huge bitch to me. We have nothing in common and you didn't want to hook up with me either So, I don't understand what you're so pissed at me for? Yes, I was flirting with another girl because you made it pretty clear last night that you aren't interested," Josh says in one breath.

            "I have a scholarship that I don't want to throw away," Callie defends, trying to keep her secret just that – a secret.

             "Oh right, because I would force you to get rid of your scholarship, which makes absolutely no freaking sense," Josh yells back.

            "It's bad for me to be with you," Callie says softly. She instantly feels terrible because she knows that's far from the truth.

             "Right, because I'm a bad person, of course. I hear it from everyone else. I don't know why I expected anything different from you," Josh says disappointedly. He walks away, leaving Callie to stand alone. She sighs and stands there, watching Josh walk out of the gym.