Chapter 13: Farewell Friend

Callie pulls into Courtney's driveway later that evening, texting her and wanting to talk. Courtney opens the door and Callie follows her inside. Both girls walk into the house and up to Courtney's room.

             "What's up?" Courtney asks, shutting her bedroom door and sitting down with Callie on her bed.

            "Josh Collins. That's my issue."

            Courtney can't help but scowl in her mind.

            "He's just an asshole and I thought we had something going. I mean we kissed. Well, he kissed me, and he tried making a move on me but I stopped him," Callie begins. "And we get back to school the next day, and he's freaking flirting with another girl and we –"

             "—Callie, stop," Courtney cuts her off.

            "What?" Callie looks at her dumbfounded.

            "Honestly, I don't care. I told you that guy was trouble, and you could do so much better. You didn't listen, as always. It came back and bit you in the ass," Courtney sighs, climbing off the bed.

            "Wow, really?"

            "Yes. I told you so Callie. You have been so far up this guy's ass the moment you guys even started talking. It's annoying. I don't want to hear about him anymore if I'm being honest. I'm sorry. I don't mean to be a bitch, but it's true. Abby and Nicole feel the same way. You've changed."

            Callie looks at her. She can't believe what she is hearing.

            "I thought you were my friend."

            "Who are we kidding Callie? You're moving to Texas and I'm going to Oklahoma. We will probably never see each other again."

            "Maybe that's for the better," Callie says softly.

            "What?"

             "Maybe it's good we are moving far away from each other that way you can't judge me for my choices instead of your own," Callie gets up, walking to the bedroom door. "Thanks for being my friend," Callie slams the bedroom door, walking to her car and driving home. She can't help but start to cry.

            The rest of the year is nothing Callie wants to remember. She spends the rest of the year not talking to Josh and has buckled down even harder on her schoolwork and softball. Josh ending up playing baseball for the school with some hard work. After graduation, Callie is immediately flown to Texas since training begins early. She hears through the grapevine that Josh stuck to his word and joined the military. What branch? That she doesn't know. With no surprise, she loses contact with Courtney, Nicole and Abby, but wishes them the best in their future.