Chapter 14: Memories Resurfaced

3 Years Later:

            Moving into her dorm was a bittersweet moment. Callie knew that after her parents left she was on her own, an adult. No more curfews and listening to her parents since they will be thousands of miles away. Now, three years later, she still feels the same way. Callie's new friends have heard all about Josh, and just like her old ones, they are also giving her a hard time. Of course, being in college is no different. Callie has stayed on her grades, getting all A's every semester. Softball has been going well, being named one of the star players along with two other girls.

            After having a rough semester, Callie's relieved when she walks out of the building where she finished the last final of her Junior year. She loves being in Texas, enjoying the weather, the school and all the people that she has met. Callie and her new friends and also teammates, Hannah and Emily decided to treat themselves to a day on the beach after their finals. Laying around, enjoying the warm weather and sunshine, getting a tan also. Wearing her favorite teal string bikini and sporting some new ink, a tattoo sleeve with many aquatic animals going down her arm, Callie feels like a new woman. Her parents were not jubilant when they discovered her new tattoo. But what could they do?

            With her face deep in a book, a beer sitting right beside her, Callie notices a group of guys about ten feet from her, Hannah and Emily. She stops reading and watches the group toss a football around. Her eyes scan over the tattoos on one particular guy. A lump in her throat rising as she can't believe what she's seeing. Josh.

            "Well, I can't say I hate having the military base close by," Hannah chuckles, sitting up and pushing her sunglasses down.

            "Oh my god," Callie swallows hard, putting her book down. She ignores Hannah's comment, moving her glasses down to get a better look also.

            "What? Do you know him?" Hannah asks, looking back at Josh.

            "I went to school with that kid," Callie says, her eyes still trained on him.

            "Well, go talk to him," Emily pipes up.

            "Yeah, go," Hannah pushes her arm, agreeing with Emily.

            "We didn't exactly end very well," putting her sunglasses back on.

            "Well, first off, that high school stuff was hell of a long time ago and if you're not going to talk to him, I am," Hannah stands up, fixing her hair and walking away.

            "Be my guest," Callie watches, opening her book once more.

             Callie's eyes peer over the top of the book to Hannah and Josh. Watching her strut over to the group of guys and stop in front of Josh. Hannah's lips move, a conversation starting between the pair. Callie watches and her eyes go wide when she sees Hannah point in her direction. The two walking over.

            "Well, go figure I'd see you again," she looks towards the familiar voice.

            "Yeah, I never thought so too," Callie smiles, setting her book down.

            "How have you been doing? How's school?" Josh asks, sitting down beside her on the sand.

            "I've been good and school was good. This last semester was rough," Callie answers, running a hand through her windblown hair. "What about you?"

            "Well, I've been good. I didn't end up going to college. I've been in the Marines ever since instead. What are you going to school for again?"

            "Physical therapy," Callie answers, They talk a little more and catch up, joking and laughing at each other.

            "Would you like to get a drink or something?"

            "Um yeah sure," Callie says. A little hesitant at first.

            Sensing the hesitation, Josh smirks.

            "You don't have to. You don't owe me anything."

            "No, that's fine," Callie laughs. "Let's go get a drink."

              "Good," Josh laughing and reaching over to Callie's phone. He inputs his cell number in, handing it back to her. "Give me a call sometime."

            "Okay," Callie takes her phone back. Josh stands up, walking back to the group of guys. She still can't believe that she just saw him.

            "So, you going to go out with him?" Hannah sits down beside her. Emily still sitting there.

            "He gave me his number," Callie smiles at Hannah.

            "Well, you should call him. You could use a date," Emily pushes her a little, winking at her.

            "I don't know," Callie shrugs her shoulders, looking at Emily.

            "When was the last time you were on a date?" Hannah gives her a look.

            Callie looks at her and doesn't answer because it's been that long, and Hannah knows it.

            "You better call him," Hannah says, putting her sunglasses back on, laying back on her towel.

            "I'll think about it," Callie laughs, picking her book back up.

             "Yeah, we've heard that before," Emily says. Callie notices Josh and his friends pack up their stuff, her mind in overdrive. Josh looks over one last time and waves at the girls, Callie waving back while Emily and Hannah whistle.