Chapter 139: Guildmaster-In-Training

Hopeful Maggots HQ,

Ranad.

4th Banem, 1093.

In recent weeks, Maggot HQ, the center of Ranad, had maintained a strangely silent atmosphere. With most of its guild members either assisting in the colonization efforts on the southern islands or away on training, it was no wonder the normally bustling compound lacked its usual bluster.

However, this day, the compound was even more quiet than usual, its gates tightly shut to visitors. All Hopeful Maggots' craftsmen, tradespeople, and merchants around the area had abandoned all they were doing for an emergency convention at the building.

Despite the world's curiosity, the Maggots were famous for their information security. Unless the Maggots themselves decided to divulge the information, they could only wait until the gates opened once again before finding out exactly what was happening within.

While the whole of Ranad pondered the reason for the Maggots' HQ's summons, the very people being talked about were letting out strings of curses borne from frustration and excitement as they ran helter-skelter.

The Maggots' minds were consumed by the unbelievable boon their elusive guild leader had brought with him upon his return.

The Maggot building, which housed several workshops and forges to meet the researchers and craftsmen's needs, was buzzing with life as several men and women poured through books that had been handed out to them earlier in the day. Books which held secrets to so many crafts they did not think possible, while at the same time, bursting the doors of their creative imagination to heights unseen before.

The person responsible for this hubbub frowned, muttering distasteful curses as his brush scribbled directions on building a seven-foot buster sword for the umpteenth time in a row.

Buried in paperwork, Kashi—who had no office of his own—hunkered down at Leila's desk, beginning to regret his decision as he finished what felt like the thousandth [Beginner Craftsman Guide Vol.1].

Resting on the couch prepared for visitors, the only other being in the office, Kira, chuckled as Kashi dumped the book to the side, picked up a new empty one, and began the process all over again, this time for [Beginner Runemaster Guide Vol.1].

"You wish to impress the girl but cannot handle the pain that comes with it," Kira mocked, lips curled upward. "What a despicable man."

Kashi, whose red eyes had somehow managed to get even redder, cast a scathing, bloodshot glare at the lazily lounging direwolf. Seeing as she returned his glare with a limpid, mocking one of her own, he snorted, "I'm not trying to impress anybody."

"No?" Kira challenged, thoroughly enjoying herself. "Then why are you of all people slaving away at that table?"

Kashi's brow shot up, gaze rising from the manual he was writing. "What do you mean, "me of all people?" You do realize I am a guildmaster, right? Guild. Mas-ter. It's only natural I work hard for the sake of my guild."

Kira's gaze held contempt as if looking down at a bug. "Sure. It has nothing to do with the singer's words yesterday."

Kashi's fingers froze. "You are reading too much into things." With a light cough, he resumed writing, choosing to ignore the direwolf.

"Mm-hmm," Kira nodded, sarcasm in her eyes. "Believe what you want." She jumped down from the couch and made for the exit. "Open the door. I'm going out to hunt."

Kashi's eyes held a triumphant light as he proudly rose from his chair, making his way to the door with his chest puffed out and a smug grin on his face. Placing a hand on the round doorknob, he asked with a sickening smile, "Does the lady need me to open the door for her?" Placing a hand on his chest, he mocked, "It would be my honor."