𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

"Umm Hermione, did I just see Viktor Krum checking you out?" I questioned her as we entered the library and took our usual seats. 

Her face blushed a crimson red, "no of course not. I mean why would he?"

"Why wouldn't he?" 

"Me? No."

"Um I don't know, let me think. Cause you're gorgeous."

She let out a modest giggle, "he kind of...um...asked me to the ball?" she shrugged.

I think I might have actually let out a squeal, "Hermione!" she blushed even more, trying to contain her happiness, "I'm so beyond happy for you. Although, I'm surprised Ron didn't ask you."

"Why would Ron ask me?"

"I'm pretty sure he's in love with you."

She gasped at the thought, "no. He most definitely is not."

"You clearly don't see the way he looks at you."

She laughed, brushing off the idea, "has Cedric asked you yet?"

"Nope. But it's fine; it's not for like another month and a half." I shrugged, "he's got plenty of time to think about it."

"Are you excited for tomorrow?" she asked, as the two of us started revising with our paper and quill, along with the many textbooks, piled up in between us.

"Yeah I guess so."

"You guess so? You only turn eighteen once, Y/N." she laughed.

"Yeah well..." I shrugged and thought about it for a moment. "Yeah actually, I guess I am."

•·················•·················•

Hermione and I had studied for a good hour, until it was time for fourth period. We had parted our ways and I began heading down to the dungeons for Potions. 

As I approached the dingy lower ground, I spotted a oh-so familiar head of hair, "why hello dearest brother."

He glanced up at me and gave me a look, "sis."

"Got a date to the ball yet?"

"We only found out about it about like a week ago. I haven't exactly had much time."

"Well with your good looks, I assumed plenty of girls would jump at the chance to be your date."

"Your sarcasm is becoming annoying, Y/N."

"Who said I was being sarcastic?" I winked and left him and his group of Hufflepuffs, as I strutted towards my next class of the day.

The classroom was around half full and most of the seats were filled. When I got a chance to look through the crowd, I noticed that Cedric wasn't there. I wasn't usually the first one here out of the two of us. I ignored his absence, expecting him to be here any minute, followed by his crowd of people and just took my seat on the front row. 

I guess it was only now, in my silence and loneliness, that I realised Cedric was one of the only people in this room that actually well liked me. I glanced around the room at the students, chattering away to one another and I was just, on my own. No one to talk to, no one to laugh with. I was just sat there awkwardly and uncomfortably as the rest of the class did the exact opposite. Ava and Spencer were too preoccupied with something apparently hilarious at the other side of the room. I stared straight forward at the dull stone walls and the moss growing in between them. That overwhelming scent of a mixture of mould and dampness, present as always.

Just when I thought the silence would eventually be unbearable, as if on queue, the noisy group of Hufflepuffs, made their way threw the classroom door and took their own seats, dotted around the classroom; Cedric, making his way to his seat, next to my own.

"Afternoon." he smiled.

"Afternoon." I replied back.

"You're wearing glasses?" he questioned. 

I had obviously not noticed, but my small, dainty glasses were perched on my nose. Without hesitation, I whipped them off and put them on top of my pile of books.

"No, no, they're cute." he chuckled at my embarrassed remark. "Why have I never seen you in them?"

"Cause they're embarrassing. And frankly, I'm ashamed that I'm too blind that I have to wear them."

This caused him to laugh a little, "well I like them. They suit you."

I felt my face fluster but before I could reply, Professor Snape stormed into the now completely silent room and immediately began scribbling on the board. 

"The Draught of Living Death brings upon its drinker a very powerful sleep that can last indefinitely. This draught is very dangerous if not used with caution. This is an extremely dangerous potion. Execute with maximum caution. Turn to page 246 and get on with it." he practically slammed the piece of chalk on the table in front of him. The sound of the stools screeched as the students got up from their seats and approached the already setup cauldrons at the brewing station of the classroom. 

Cedric and I had pretty much been fooling about and laughing to each other for the whole potion making part of the lesson, much to Snape's annoyance. Recently, I had felt we hadn't been spending as much time together as we usually were, so to feel this elevation of happiness, even when we were in a boring lesson together, made me feel like a sense of joyousness again.

"So, tomorrow," he started. I tried to cover up that my eyes had lit up. Had he remembered? Had he planned something? I couldn't help but jump to conclusions, "I'm busy pretty much all day, but in the evening, I'm free to study if you were still up for it." 

I then also tried to hide my disappointment. That 'joyousness' had dropped. It felt as though my body had become lifeless. My once large grin, was now feeble and struggling to remain on my face. "Oh, yeah, studying. Okay." I nodded sheepishly and tried to focus myself back on the potion in front of me, trying to ignore all other thoughts at the back of my now troubled mind.

All day? I didn't want to make him out like the bad guy here, because he may just have made it up to distract me from the real plan, I didn't know. I wasn't sure if this was some surprise and how I hoped it was, but I'm pretty sure my boyfriend had forgotten my eighteenth birthday.