Right There

The wedding was going amazingly, everything was going according to plan, Sukara had successfully avoided Kuvira so far, the faces that Wu was making Mako make were hilarious and the ceremony hadn't even started.

But, that was when the day took a down turn for Sukara. Everything was going so well, she had even managed to distract herself enough with Kasa and everyone to enjoy herself without being too stressed. But then there she was. Just across the isle, looking like a Goddess, all done up and beautiful. It didn't feel fair but there wasn't a point in complaining to herself. She just had to focus.

Sukara slipped her hand into Kasa's to give her something to hold onto, something to do with her hands. She tried with everything she had to keep her eyes on the happy couple but she was right there. Her eyes kept slipping. Stealing glances. It made everything so much more painful. It shouldn't though. Hadn't they both moved on now?

Sukara's internal monologue

Why did she have to look like that? Couldn't she have made it easier? But what right did I have to want that of her, what right did I have to ask anything of her.

It was a wedding, why were these the thoughts plaguing my mind? I should be thinking about Korra and Asami, or Kasa at a time like this. Not an ex girlfriend that wanted nothing to do with me.

But she was right there. It wasn't fair, why couldn't I get over this?

"Hey," Kasa whispered, noticing how tense Sukara was getting, "are you okay?"

"Yeah," Sukara smiled, leaning in and giving her a kiss on the head, "I'm fine."

Sukara's internal monologue

Heartbroken but fine, an odd combination. Kasa knows about Kuvira anyway, but not the extent at which she still had so much effect on me.

Kuvira wasn't even doing anything, she hadn't even looked at me. She was just standing there, next to Baatar. Because of course Baatar was there. She doesn't even like you that much, just liked to be seen, to be admired. Yeah, she told me.

Spirits, I have to be less bitter. Just don't talk to them. It'll be easy, there are so many people here. If there was one thing she didn't want to do, it was looking at his smug face as he held her hand. That hand, used to be mine. Could still have been, if I hadn't have been such an idiot.

Possessive? Since when have I been possessive? Spirits, leave her alone.

Sukara leant into Kasa to try and distract herself. She put an arm around her and held her close. Leaning her head on top of Kasa's, she could smell her shampoo. It was nice, it smelled like moon peaches.

Sukara's internal monologue

This could be nice. Why can't I love this? Kasa was kind and smart and not confusing. We could be happy, we should be happy. Why does she have to take up my whole head? Why do I have to be so in love with you Kuvira? Why can I not just let you go?