Part 35

Boarding the jet was bittersweet.

Maggie was relieved to be leaving, but she couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness when she thought about not seeing her grandma for a while.

Earlier in the morning, both Ivan and Rose stopped by the vacation house for breakfast.They all gathered around the outdoor seating area, munching on a glorious feast of food. Sure enough, the news of the engagement was announced, being met with excited reactions from both of them.

Ivan and Rose were quite the combo. They had become quite close over the long twenty years of knowing each other, due to the girl's friendship. Seeing each other at drop offs or birthday parties. Their playful banter was endlessly entertaining for the group. Ivan's dry humor, paired with Rose's spicy retorts was comedy gold.

After they finished eating, they all shared hugs and the group started packing up to go.

The flight felt shorter this time, without the anticipation of getting to their destination. Maggie read for a bit, doodled in her sketchbook, and even played some chess with Steve. Meanwhile, James sat up front on his laptop almost the entire time, trying to catch up on the literal thousands of emails he had received over the last couple days. It was the exact reason why he hated taking time off work.

Landing back at La Guardia felt like a breath of fresh air. Being in the usual New York, end of summer, breeze.

James' driver took him and Maggie to his house. They made their way upstairs, toting their suitcases in hand. She collapsed down onto his bed the second she could, happy to relax for the rest of the afternoon.

"Come nap with me." She yawned, reaching out to James with grabby hands.

He shook his head. "We can't rest yet, doll."

She let out a comical pouty lip, sitting up on her elbows to look at him. "Why not?"

"I have a surprise for you." He grabbed her wrist, pulling her up to her feet. "Come on."

His statement knocked the sleepiness right out of her. She followed him down through his house, all the way to his garage. Hopping into the Aston Martin, he whipped out onto the street.

A quick fifteen minute drive later, he pulled over, parallel parking his million dollar car between a couple of service trucks.

Maggie peeked out the window, but didn't recognize anything around them. She looked down at her dress, hoping what she was wearing was alright for whatever they were about to do. When it came to James, she never knew what to expect.

He stepped out of the car, rounding it swiftly and opening her door for her.

"James, what are we doing?"

"You'll see."

He grabbed her hand in his wide palm, clutching it tightly as he walked her down the street. She recognized the neighborhood as Nolita— one of her favorites. Pedestrians brushed past them on the sidewalk, as cars moved in a slow roll with the afternoon traffic. There was a small park just across the street.

Walking past a plant shop and a charming bakery, they came to an empty store front.

The building was limestone. There were wide French style arched windows that rested on the sides the ivy framed entrance, traveling all the way up to the third floor.

James pulled out a small golden key from his pocket and unlocked the glass door. Maggie gave him a confused look, hesitating, before following him inside.

She could barely make out the space, due to the setting sun, but it just looked like a big empty shop. He released his hold on her waist and dipped into a side room towards the back of the space. The lights flicked on and her jaw dropped.