MALEVOLENT 12: Salacious Foray

Today was to be a good day.

King Gaol, Prince Marko, Princess Aylin and her sisters had set off before dawn in royal litters to visit a monument in the next town over. The town had recently recovered from sickness, so the royals were going to provide a much-needed morale boost – especially since those farms contributed to much of the palace's stores and they needed hard workers, not sickness-ravaged corpses. While there they were going to visit and lunch with all the resident nobles to better their connections, and Finias would be going with them.

An entire day with the palace to herself. It was too good to be true.

Delilah had slipped out of her room after pretending to the guards posted outside that she wanted to use the luxurious bathing chamber on the third floor, and threatening them with tarnishing her virtue and reputation – and theirs – if they followed. Both were young, and one of them wore a promise ring, so she knew she had made the right call.

In Kaya's quarters, the girl presented her with drab commoner's clothing. First, she donned a long cream dress made of rough cotton. Over that went a high-necked sleeveless doublet of dull rose with a cut-out circle showing a row of white buttons from the dress, meant to allow a lady to show a little cleavage if she were that way inclined. Delilah pulled on knee-high brown leather boots, wrinkling her nose: they were soft, but far from luxuriating in the comfort, all she could imagine was the original owner's feet wearing them in.

Kaya fastened a faded blue half-cloak around her shoulder. It even had a hood which she could tuck her hair into to hide it. Finally, she gave Delilah a belt which had a little water flask, a money pouch – empty – and even a carved ox-horn spoon.

"There," Kaya announced. "Not ridiculously poor or noticeably rich, still common, but reasonably fashion-conscious. Practical and invisible."

"Who did you steal these from?" Delilah plucked her sleeve. Frayed ends everywhere.

"Who said I stole them? I'll have you know I made all these garments with my bare hands."

Delilah raised an eyebrow.

"Fine. They're the day-wear of a servant from the bathing chambers... poor thing." Kaya wrinkled her nose in brief disgust. "Obviously keeps them for brief excursions from the palace. I wonder if she has a suitor? A forbidden romance?"

"Focus," Delilah warned.

"Oh – right. I, as you can see, am wearing similar, and Nell will meet us out there."

"Where is Nell staying when she isn't in the palace? Not in the ceiling passages, surely."

"You'll see, we can show you."

Swallowing her resentment at being withheld information, Delilah beckoned for Kaya and the two set off through the palace, Delilah's hair bound tightly and her hood pulled low. They walked arm in arm, ducking their chins and narrowing their shoulders whenever they saw anybody so they looked simply like two common servers.

As Delilah was about to turn towards one of the servants' entrances, Kaya tugged her sleeve.

"Wait. First, can..." She swallowed. "Can we go to the library?"

"Why?"

"I grew up hearing tales of the infamous Pelenan library. I always wanted to see it myself someday."

"You can read?"

"Of course I can read!" Kaya hit her. "What, did you think I crawled out of the Anlochian river like some slimy, uncultured cretin?"

"Something like that."

"I can read, Delilah."

"All right, all right, don't be so sensitive. I don't think I've ever seen you do more than fight and flirt, that's all. It's this way."