73

Colby's POV

"Does she have any family?" Sophia asked as she led us into her office. "Not that I know of. Her parents died when she was in high school." I said quietly as she pulled out Violet's file.

"Oh my...okay well then, I have to get back into the OR, I'm gonna bring you to the waiting room..I'll keep you updated on her status." Sophia said as she stood up. She looked visibly stressed which I could understand but it wasn't helping ease my mind at all.

We all stood up then walked to the waiting room. "I'll keep you updated." Sophia said then jogged out of the room. I felt like I was going to be sick as we sat down.

"I don't know what I'm gonna do without her." I whispered as Sam rubbed my back. "She's not gonna die, Colby. Don't think like that." Sam said as I brought my hands to my face.

"I can't help it, man. They shot her in the chest. Whoever did this wanted her dead, this wasn't an accident." I said as my heart seized in my chest. "They're going to jail for this. They're gonna pay for what they did." Sam said as I sniffled.

"She didn't fucking deserve this. It's all my fucking fault." I said and stood up so I could pace the room. "It's not your fault man...please calm down." He said as I kicked the wall angrily.

"I can't! She's going to fucking die because she fell in love with me. It's all my fucking fault!" I yelled as Sam stood up and wrapped his arms around me.

I collapsed into him as I started to sob. I couldn't live with myself knowing that Violet was fighting for her life all because we were together. It didn't make sense.

"Shhhhh, relax. It's gonna be okay..she's gonna be okay." Sam cooed as I sobbed into his shoulder. "I can't do this." I choked out as he rubbed my back.
"Shhhh, You're okay." He cooed and held me tightly.

I eventually calmed down just as Kat and Tara came into the room. "Hey, how's she doing?" Kat asked as she gave me a tight hug. "I have no idea." I whispered as I hugged Tara.

"Did you see who did it?" Tara asked as I shook my head. "No, I haven't heard anything." I said as Kat sucked in a breath.

"This is horrible." She whispered as we sat down again. The atmosphere in the room was heavy as we waited silently. It felt like the longest 3 hours of my life.

Sophia eventually came through the door. "Please tell me she's alive." I whispered as she came up to me.

"She's alive but she's still not doing well. The bullet hit her aorta and went straight through one of her lungs. She's on a ventilator right now which is breathing for her. She's staying strong but...the odds aren't good." She said as my heart shattered in my chest.

"Can I see her?" I whispered as she nodded. "Yeah, come on." Sophia said then opened the door so she could lead me to her room.

Sam, Kat, and Tara followed as she led up down the hallway. I didn't know if I was ready to see Violet like how I was about to see her. I didn't know if I would ever be ready though.

It didn't matter. I had to be there for her.

When Sophia opened the door I gasped at the sight. Violet was in the bed, with a tube in her throat. She was sickeningly pale and had to wear a neck brace.

"Oh, Vi..." I whispered as tears formed in my eyes. I walked over to her bed and took her hand, flinching at how cold it was.