32 | Honesty

Dante

I brought the phone up to my ear after leaving Amelia and Mari in my office. My mother never calls. Never.

"Hello," I said waiting for a response.

I don't have the best relationship with my parents. Especially not after Lily's death. Everything about them reminded me of that night and her no longer being here. It was selfish but it hurt too much to be around them after the accident, so I left.

"Dante! Oh you answered!" She sounded surprised. I rounded the corner to the elevator, taking it down to the garage floor to get in my car.

"Is everything alright mom?" I asked quickly. I'd rather not stay on the phone longer than necessary.

"Yes of course. We just haven't seen you in awhile and were wondering if you'd stop by for dinner on Saturday. Your father and I haven't seen you in months." She sounded gutted, and I felt sorry. But I had an empire to build and a business to run. I didn't always have the time to get up and leave to visit family.

"I'm not sure mom." I said quietly while sliding into my car.

"Please come home for a night Dante. I know you... resent us." She stopped for a moment and I gripped the steering wheel. "But it'd be nice to see you. I'd like to talk to you and catch up on your life."

I sighed letting my head roll back onto the headrest of the front seat.

"I'll see if I can make it." I answered still unsure.

"Please make it Dante, your father and I would love to see you." She pleaded.

"Plus there is the case I'm working on that's getting crazy and I'd love to just have a break for a moment with my son." She sounded tired and I guess that's why I found myself shaking my head yes.

"Ok mom." I answered and then we said our goodbyes before hanging up.

Fuck.

I hadn't been back to that house in over a year. Only seeing my mom briefly for lunch months ago. I hated that Lily's room was there and that they had cleared it out. A year after she died, they cleared out her things as a way of grieving. I didn't grieve like them though, and it hurt more that parts of her were no longer there.

I was interrupted with another call. Rodney's name flashed across the screen and I slid to answer.

"Hello." I said while starting my car up.

"Dante, stop by! Zac's here and we're gonna watch some football." He sounded excited.

"I don't know man, I could use a good sleep." I said back hearing a laugh in the back only assuming it was Zac.

"Zac just whispered to me that it's because you're secretly going to get laid with Amelia." Rodney laughed as he said it.

Shaking my head I cracked a smile. "I guess I could stop by for a few hours." I heard Zac cheer in the background and Rodney rattled off. They ordered some pizza before I hung up to start driving.

I realized I had a missed text from Amelia so I went to open and reply but my phone died. Fuck.

I left my charger in my office and assuming Rodney would have one I just decided to head to his house and wait to respond.

____________________________________

The drive to his house was only 20 minutes and before I knew it I was heading up the stairs to his small townhouse he shared with Zac on the outskirts of the city. I knocked once and before I could knock again the door flew open.