Chapter 52

As soon as Charlie suggests we walk to the bonfire I agree

As soon as Charlie suggests we walk to the bonfire I agree. I quickly walk ahead, not wanting to be stuck walking with Aiden as I usually ended up being. I think Aiden notices by the frown on his face but the only other person who seems to notice something is Carter who quickly catches up to me.

I smile at him, I wasn't upset at him.

"You okay Em?" Carter asks smiling softly at me.

"Yeah," I smile hesitantly back.

"Is this about what Aiden asked in never have I ever?" Carter asks observantly.

I look at him surprised, "I didn't know you were observant, I thought that was Aidens job," I reply jokingly.

Carter laughs back, "when you're quiet you hear and see a lot more."

"So deep," I joke.

Carter laughs again; "Aiden is the most observant but I think I'd be a pretty close second," he grins.

I laugh at him, my mood lifting at his kindness.

"But seriously, Aiden shouldn't have said what he did," Carter says seriously.

"I just feel bad for Justin," I admit, not denying Carter's words because, at the end of the day, they were right.

"That's got to be rough," Carter responds almost subconsciously.

"What has?" I ask.

"Seeing your ex here, and then finding out he is still in love with you," Carter replies gently.

"I think I already knew but hearing him say it hits different," I sigh.

"I'm sure it would, what are you going to do about it?" Carter asks softly.

"I have no idea," I admit.

"I know you don't want to hear this but I think you need to talk to him about it Em," Carter says hesitantly, obviously not comfortable with giving people advice.

"You're definitely right but I can't say I'm not dreading the conversation, I like it the way it is," I agree sadly. Carter smiles softly at me in reply as we arrive at the bonfire and Charlie drags me away.

"Where are we going?" I laugh at my cousin.

"To see Amy and James, I think you guys should chat," Charlie smirks.

"Charlie," I laugh in protest.

"Promise me something Em?" Charlie grins, ignoring my pleas.

"What?" I ask.

"Flirt back. Have a 4-day romance, hook up with the guy and then you never have to see him again," Charlie grins.

I laugh at her; "that's not really my style Charlie."