22: Fall in Leaves, Fall in Trouble

"Wait, I'm supposed to change out here? In the open?" Peter looked around, blinking at the endless flow of tall redwoods whose branches stretched far overheard, letting in only a few the rays of the waking sun

"Wait, I'm supposed to change out here? In the open?" Peter looked around, blinking at the endless flow of tall redwoods whose branches stretched far overheard, letting in only a few the rays of the waking sun. There were nothing but trees as far as the eye could see, just a forest brimming with an overflow of nature untouched by the ever-growing and forever-expanding real estate market. It was nice to be immersed in a world like this but he couldn't quite grasp the idea of changing clothes outside a specifically designated area. Bathrooms and changing rooms existed for a reason.

Sure, he had done it before, back when Colin was preparing his portfolio. But that had been him and Colin alone. Here, there were others. Like Samantha who was picking out the clothes he was supposed to wear from the rack they had set up. Like Liam taking shots of the other models who had somehow switched clothes without him noticing.

"Welcome to the model life." Sam smiled, tossing him a pair of knit pants. "Go behind that tree over there." The lady nodded in the direction of a huge redwood before handing Peter a navy blue corduroy jacket and a black tank top, following with a pair of chunky black boots.

The forest floor was littered with dragon-flame red leaves that crackled under the weight of the boots Peter slipped on. Of all the articles of clothing he was required to wear, it was the easiest to get into. He took off his shirt, tucking it in between his bent knees along with the jacket.

A breeze swirled by, letting leaves and dew rain down on him as he hurriedly pushed his hands through the arm holes of the black clothing. It had drizzled that morning-- pouring down pregnant drops of water, heavier than summer rain-- and a chill still hung in the air. Peter shivered, slipping on the top and layering it with the jacket before more goosebumps could rise on his skin.

The voices of Liam directing the other models on how to pose and Samantha telling everyone to get in place were drowned out by the sounds of the forest. Birds chirped and the wind howled and the autumn-infested leaves took a graceful bow as they landed lightly on the forest floor.

Peter felt his lungs expand beneath his ribs as he took in the scent of the crisp fall air. It smelled of rain and sun, sodden and light, both accentuating the scents of the forest.

"You changed yet, Peter?" Sam's voice.

"Yes." Peter straightened the jacket and satisfied, he walked over to the small clearing where the equipment for the shoot had been arranged.

"Sweet," Sam eyed him, her blue eyes reflecting her pleasure. "Go stand there."

It was a log she pointed to; an uprooted tree. The green of the moss that slithered over the dead-yet-alive wood stood out in the mix of reds and yellows and oranges. It felt slippery under the boots and it took Peter a few seconds to balance himself on the rotting redwood. Once he was sure he wouldn't fall, he looked towards Liam who stood with the camera.