Chapter Eleven - The Hospital Wing

I sat in the Hospital Wing next to George's bed. I was studying for an upcoming Charms test, though I could barely focus. George lay soundly asleep, none the wiser to my anxious state.

George had gotten pretty bloodied up; he had a raging concussion, a scar on his chin, bruises littered his body, and his left arm had broken from the fall. Madame Pomfrey was a wise witch and a good nurse at that, but even she couldn't heal broken bones in a few hours.

I was surprised to see that George had even survived the fall, but thankful none-the-less. It had only been a few hours since the match and the sunlight that had streamed through the windows was now quickly setting.

"Look at what they did to him." Fred said. He was sitting on the other side of George's bed, fists clenched. His expression was somber.

"I know Fred. Ya know, I don't think anyone else may have noticed, but he was chasing George for a good part of the game. I think he meant to chase you actually."

Fred looked at me, anger boiling just beneath the surface of his expression. "What?"

"Yeah, that Beater that pushed George was just pissy cause you'd almost sent him off his broom. But that git couldn't tell the two of you apart, so he took his anger out on George."

"You can't be serious! I could be the one lying here, all bloodied up but I'm not! It's George! George got hurt all because some bloody idiot's too thick to tell us apart!" He was screaming at this point. "I can't believe him! That bloody bastard is gonna pay!" He screamed, his voice seemingly ready to give out. Tears were now slipping slowly down his cheeks.

I closed my book and set it in my lap. "Fred, calm down. It's not your fault. He'll be alright."

"I can't calm down! It should've been me but it's not! He's my brother Y/N and they've gone and hurt him! I can't just sit around doing nothing!" He stood up and began pacing, fists still clenched. "I've gotta do something. Something big. Show em that if they do something like this again, they'll regret it."

I'd never seen Fred get this worked up about anything. Not even when he'd told stories of when they'd lost matches. And so quickly too. Of course, this must've been brewing over the past few hours as this was the first time Fred and I had talked since George had been rushed over here.

"What do you mean?"

"Those Slytherin sons of bitches are gonna pay. And I think I know how." Fred got up and began to make his way towards the door, but I rushed over and grabbed his wrist.

"Come on now, let's not be rash."

"It won't be anything to hurt em, just scare em a bit. Show em that if they mess with my brother, they're gonna regret it."

I stood for a moment, not letting go. Tears were still slipping down Fred's face. He looked almost wrecked, as if the one thing in his life that meant everything had been hurt.

And that's when I realized that was exactly it. George was his world and someone who had no right hurting George, had. I more fully understand now why Fred was so upset.

I let go slowly and Fred looked at me, letting a small hint of gratitude show on his face before he left the room, leaving me alone with George.

Whatever you do Freddie, don't regret it.

I watched as Fred left, hoping he wouldn't do something awful out of anger.

I thought about how quickly Fred had been to anger over the situation. He'd been the first one to reach George on the field. He'd checked him over multiple times before quickly rushing him to the Hospital Wing.