Chapter 28 - Double Dog Dare and The Silver Chair

"Should we do another truth or dare?" asked Spizzo after realising that they hadn't played their game in a while. They had become more and more wrapped up in their past as the night went on, further than Spizzo had ever thought it would go, and he wanted to get back to some fun. There was only so much you could learn in one night.

Jacob shrugged. "Why not, we still have time to kill before school starts," he said, doubtful that they'd get any sleep before then. The dark sky showed hints of the sun making its return and if he closed his eyes now, he'd miss school for sure.

"Whose turn is it?" asked the other teen, trying to think back on what their last truth or dare even was. "Jumping into the pool was the last one, right?"

Jacob just nodded in confirmation, to which Spizzo replied, "Well then that was for me. So that means that it's your turn to choose one for you then."

Jacob didn't agree this time, reminding him, "Nuh-uh, that's the last one we did but that wasn't the last truth or dare. The kiss was, remember?"

"Oh," was all the other teen said, but not really getting it. "I'm confused."

Jacob sat up in his seat and tried to explain it in more detail so that Spizzo could understand where they were in their game.

"So, you picked dare and I dared you to jump into the pool from up here but you were too scared to do that on your own. So, we skipped it since I said that if I picked double dog dare, we'd jump down together but then you twisted it and made us kiss. So, after that we went back to even out your last dare but technically, since I pick the last time, it's your turn to choose: truth or dare?" he explained, hoping that he made sense.

Spizzo nodded, not sure if that was 100% correct but didn't feel like arguing against it either. Especially when he knew that he'd still get to have his fun either way. "Well since you mentioned it, I pick double dog dare again."

Jacob groaned, feeling stupid for walking straight into that. It was obvious that was what was going to happen if Spizzo was given the choice. "Of course you chose that."

"Well, if we're gonna play again, we might as well both do something. It'll be more fun," Spizzo tried to reason but Jacob quickly countered back with, "Well, I haven't enjoyed any of the double dog dares we've done so far, have I?"

"Just pick a dare," the other teen said, rolling his eyes. It really didn't need to be this hard.

"You pick a dare," Jacob retorted childishly, not realising what he'd said until he'd said it.

"Fine," Spizzo shrugged, taking Jacob's words as a cue to take over the role. He already had one in mind, one that we knew would make Jacob squirm. "I dare you to give me a lap dance," he said with a straight face, trying his best to keep that teasing glint from showing through in his eyes.

"You want me to do what now?" The other teen asked incredulously.

"Give me a lap dance," Spizzo repeated, more slowly this time as he enunciated each word.

Jacob gave him a look that said "what the hell is wrong with you?" as he tried to process what he was hearing. All night Spizzo had been adamantly declaring his heterosexuality while also continuously coming up with questionable dares - this one being the prime example.

"I'm not stripping for you," was all Jacob could think to say.

"Hey now," the other teen responded, putting his hands up in objection. "I didn't say anything about stripping. You can if you want to but that's not what I asked for; I just wanted a lap dance."

This was too much fun.

"I, uh— wha—" Jacob stammered, his brain feeling overloaded. This was all too much to process. If this was actually happening then he needed to call the police to rescue him. Or have Spizzo arrested for indecent truth or daring.

Spizzo watched as Jacob's brain had a meltdown.

The sight was too much.

Spizzo bursted out into laughter, unable contain it any longer.

The realisation dawned on Jacob as he heard the other teen began to laugh. If there was one thing Spizzo lived for, it was to tease Jacob — even when they were still friends. Jacob could only blame the fogginess of pulling an all-nighter for not picking up on it earlier.

"I hate you," was all he could muster as he collapsed back into his seat to hide away in shame.

"Oh Jacob," Spizzo said as he cooled back down, stifling the last couple errant giggles that bubbled to the surface. "You make it too easy."

"Yeah well, I'll make sure to get you back one day," Jacob promised. "I'll take you up on your joke and you'll just have to deal with me grinding on your lap."

"What if that's exactly what I wanted you to do?" asked the other teen, eyebrow cocked as a challenge. If that's what he actually wanted or not, Spizzo would never tell him either way. It was more fun keeping it ambiguous.

Jacob, however, chose to change the conversation, not wanting to continue with this silly train of thought. "So that's all, that was the double dog dare you wanted?"

"No, it wasn't actually," Spizzo replied. "But I doubt you'd wanna follow through with it now."

"Just say it," the other teen prompted, wanting to get this over with. He knew it was going to be some other horrible dare that his ex-best friend was going to get a kick out of because he'd hate it so much.

"Well, I dare you to be my friend again," said Spizzo, bringing back their conversation they'd been having before restarting their game. He hadn't really thought of a second dare, just saying the first thing that came to mind, but he also knew that this was something he wanted. It was a dare that came from the heart.

"And what if I give up on the dare?" Jacob asked, still trying to keep the question at arm's length. The nostalgia of the evening was getting to him and he was trying to keep his resolve. He wasn't going to cave into Spizzo that easy.

The other teen shrugged, not sure there was much he could actually do, saying, "well, I don't know. We can just keep playing this game over and over until you don't give up."

They were silent for a moment, leaving Spizzo's words to hang in the air, but the teen couldn't stop there. Spizzo felt that, if he was going to go with this, he was going all in. 

"I mean, I don't deserve to be forgiven and you deserve a better friend than I've ever been. But I'm sorry. I am. And I know that it's only from tonight that I've seen just what I've done but I'd like it if we could start fresh so I can be a better friend for you this time around," he said, shrugging again at the end as he began to feel awkward. It was too many emotions for a guy. But he had to say it anyway.

Jacob thought for a moment. As much as he wish he wasn't, he was definitely being swayed by the other teen's words. They just hit the right spots. But he was still going to stay firm. Firm like tofu — with just a little give.

"Ok fine," Jacob relented with a sigh. "I'll give your dare a week, and if you can show that you can be a better friend, then I'll keep my end of the bargain."

"Great," Spizzo replied with a smile.

But Jacob wasn't done, sitting up again and leaning forward as he made eye contact with the other teen. "But fuck up again and I will find a way to ruin you."

Spizzo, however, was certain that that would never need to happen. "You don't need to worry about that."

It was Jacob's turn to smile. "Good."

They were silent again until Jacob thought to ask, "So what would you have done if I did start giving you a lap dance?"

Spizzo laughed again at the question. "Close my eyes and try not the get a boner, I guess," he replied honestly, knowing that even if he wasn't into it, the friction would still do things to his body that he couldn't control. "You realise I would've had to do it back right? How would you have gone with that?"

"I would've laid back and thought of England," was Jacob's simple reply.

Spizzo cocked his head to the side, not understanding the expression. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Don't worry your cotton socks," Jacob said in reassurance but Spizzo knew he was being teased.

"Screw you."

"No thanks."